Re: [agile-usability] Re: One Of My Biggest Agile Problem.

  • Jonathan House
    Message 1 of 46 , Sep 6, 2008
      Aww, now you've gone and injected a note of clarity into all of this. As Gery is already aware due to our sidebar conversation, I do have a tendency to pick out polarizing terms. Think of me what you will, but I find passionate debate about a topic more interesting than sober conversation - you learn as much about the participants as you do about the topic when there is an emotional reaction coupled with the intellectual discussion.

      Cheers,

      Jonathan House
      Voodoo Usability Shaman, Agile Sadist

      dgery2000 wrote:
      I think the first conflicting building block revolves around the
      definition of reward and punishment. Jonathan's view, as far I
      understand, is too broad for me : I was considering reward/punishment
      as "I have the power to make your life better (reward) or worse
      (punishment) because I can give more or less of what I think you want,
      and I'll use that power to get you do what I want you to do."

      Géry.

      --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "aacockburn" <acockburn@...>
      wrote:

      --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan House <jonathan@>
      wrote:

      As an aside to all of this, we continued the rewards / punishments
      conversation into the Agile Roundtable discussion group here in

      Salt

      Lake City on Thursday and had some fascinating discussions. There

      were

      others here who were present, so I'll let them share their

      thoughts.

      Mine was that there are quite a number of conflicting building

      blocks

      to this conversation, and i didn't see any unifying or simplifying
      view or set of questions to help partition the answers.

      we got (among others)
      1. operate by trust
      2. intermittent positive reinforcement
      3. punishment while present
      4. Socratic learning
      5. the 'trainer effect' (e.g. I'll do stuff with a trainer present
      that I wouldn't do without).
      6. peer pressure (peer punishment)
      7. anchor lessons with a heightened emotional state

      all of those look valid to me, and lead in different directions.

      Message 46 of 46 , Sep 6, 2008
        aacockburn wrote:
        > I also have enjoyed this rampaging discussion immensely, even if
        > it has precious little to do with agile-usability. It has opened
        > some interesting doors for long-term inquiry in my mind. (Thanks
        > Jonathan for that).
        >
        > Maybe now we can let this group get on with its regularly scheduled
        > program :)

        That's a good point. The biggest complaint I hear about this list is
        that the volume makes it too hard to keep up. Might I suggest that any
        future discussion on this topic go to a more appropriate list? E.g.,
        this one: