Re: [agile-usability] Re: One Of My Biggest Agile Problem.

  • Jonathan House
    Message 1 of 46 , Sep 5, 2008
      Jon Kern wrote:
      > maybe you need to profile each developer with a psyche test...
      >
      > - extrinsically-motivated types get the punitive system and mundane work
      > - intrinsically-motivated types get better and more rewarding work and
      > whatever else they want
      >
      > BTW: i shudder when i hear government schools that are paying kids for
      > grades and/or for attendance.
      >
      > i never responded well to punitive measures, but rather was most always
      > driven internally. (okay, i'm human, i do like pats on the back. i do
      > enjoy spirited problem solving discussions and architecture challenges
      > with smart colleagues. but i like putting smiles on the client or fellow
      > developers' faces most of all).

      Blasphemy! You're obviously an devolved wretch of a being, craving that
      positive extrinsic reinforcement all of the time! How dare you consider
      yourself to have any vestige of intrinsic motivation!

      :-)

      (for those with a fatally deficient sense of humor, I'm kidding.)

      Jonathan House
      Agile Sadist... you know the rest.
      Message 46 of 46 , Sep 6, 2008
        aacockburn wrote:
        > I also have enjoyed this rampaging discussion immensely, even if
        > it has precious little to do with agile-usability. It has opened
        > some interesting doors for long-term inquiry in my mind. (Thanks
        > Jonathan for that).
        >
        > Maybe now we can let this group get on with its regularly scheduled
        > program :)

        That's a good point. The biggest complaint I hear about this list is
        that the volume makes it too hard to keep up. Might I suggest that any
        future discussion on this topic go to a more appropriate list? E.g.,
        this one: