Re: [agile-usability] Re: One Of My Biggest Agile Problem.

    Message 1 of 46 , Sep 5 2:30 PM
      Jonathan House wrote:

      > As an aside to all of this, we continued the rewards / punishments
      > conversation into the Agile Roundtable discussion group here in Salt
      > Lake City on Thursday and had some fascinating discussions. There were
      > others here who were present, so I'll let them share their thoughts.
      > My takeaway was that there was no convincing arguments that dispelled
      > the reward / punishment mechanisms as a means of successfully altering
      > behavior.

      For those wanting the other side of it, I'd strongly recommend "Punished
      by Rewards":

      http://www.alfiekohn.org/books/pbr.htm
      http://www.alfiekohn.org/teaching/pbracwak.htm
      http://www.amazon.com/dp/0618001816

      The first link has a table of contents. The second is an interview with
      him. The third, aside from allowing you to buy it, has a lot of
      interesting reviews, pro and con.

      It was recommended to me by the wife of well-known Agile coach Mike
      Hill, who is a teacher. It does a great job of making the case against
      extrinsic rewards and punishments. Like the author, I think they corrode
      intrinsic motivation. That motivation is especially valuable in
      knowledge work, which requires creativity, bottom-up insight, and a lot
      of self-direction.

      That's not to say that I think punishment and reward are useless. That's
      exactly how I train dogs. But when I look at the most creative, most
      effective people I've worked with, they're not running from rolled-up
      newspapers or running toward treats.

      Message 46 of 46 , Sep 6 2:04 PM
        aacockburn wrote:
        > I also have enjoyed this rampaging discussion immensely, even if
        > it has precious little to do with agile-usability. It has opened
        > some interesting doors for long-term inquiry in my mind. (Thanks
        > Jonathan for that).
        >
        > Maybe now we can let this group get on with its regularly scheduled
        > program :)

        That's a good point. The biggest complaint I hear about this list is
        that the volume makes it too hard to keep up. Might I suggest that any
        future discussion on this topic go to a more appropriate list? E.g.,
        this one: