Insightful quote on Agile development

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 5, 2008
      A friend of mine just sent this to me, and I thought this was terribly
      insightful:

      "Agile is to software development what poetry is to literature. It is
      very difficult to do well, very easy to do poorly, and most people
      don't understand why a good poem is good and a bad poem isn't. When
      you give college freshmen the option of either turning in an
      expository essay or writing a poem, the worst "writers" invariably
      choose to write a "poem" (and the results are predictable)."

      From this post in a tech writers group:
      http://www.techwr-l.com/archives/0809/techwhirl-0809-00080.html

      I'm sad I've been so busy I haven't been able to pay attention to the
      traffic in this group. But to all of you who've been posting and
      listening in - thank you.

      -Jeff
      www.agileproductdesign.com
      Agile Product Design workshop, Kitchener Ontario, Canada:
      http://agileproductdesign.eventbrite.com/
    • Jared Spool
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 5, 2008
        On Sep 5, 2008, at 12:45 PM, Jeff Patton wrote:

        > A friend of mine just sent this to me, and I thought this was terribly
        > insightful:
        >
        > "Agile is to software development what poetry is to literature. It is
        > very difficult to do well, very easy to do poorly, and most people
        > don't understand why a good poem is good and a bad poem isn't. When
        > you give college freshmen the option of either turning in an
        > expository essay or writing a poem, the worst "writers" invariably
        > choose to write a "poem" (and the results are predictable)."
        >
        > From this post in a tech writers group:
        > http://www.techwr-l.com/archives/0809/techwhirl-0809-00080.html
        >
        > I'm sad I've been so busy I haven't been able to pay attention to the
        > traffic in this group. But to all of you who've been posting and
        > listening in - thank you.

        You've missed a lot of poetry.

        Some of it was pretty good. :)

        Jared
      • aacockburn
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 5, 2008
          --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Patton" <jpatton@...>
          wrote:

          > A friend of mine just sent this to me, and I thought this was terribly
          > insightful:
          >

          > "... is very difficult to do well, very easy to do poorly,
          > and most people don't understand why a good one is good and a
          > bad one isn't. "

          Something tells me I've seen this quote applied to sex ... :)

          probably off-topic...