In Country Web Usability Testing

  • Harjinder Hothi
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5, 2008

      We are an independent bank authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. Our core business is offering secure, reliable and versatile online payment and banking services. Our products and services make it easy to move money to and from merchants and other Ivobank customers, within a secure online environment.

      The bank is operation and recently launched in UK , Ireland , Spain , Germany , Italy , France and Canada , soon to be launched in many other European countries

      Ivobank has tested systems for functionality, load and performance but now need to test the actual experience from within the native country for the real end user experience

      How can this be best achieved?

      Harji

    • Mitchell Gass
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 5, 2008
        At 04:00 AM 9/5/2008, Harjinder Hothi wrote:
        >Our core business is offering secure, reliable and versatile online
        >payment and banking services...
        >The bank is operation and recently launched in UK, Ireland, Spain,
        >Germany, Italy, France and Canada, soon to be launched in many other
        >European countries...Ivobank has tested systems for functionality,
        >load and performance but now need to test the actual experience from
        >within the native country for the real end user experience. How can
        >this be best achieved?

        If your goal is to measure the current usability of the services,
        thereby establishing a baseline against which you can measure changes
        in future versions, you need some form of quantitative testing.

        http://www.useit.com/alertbox/quantitative_testing.html

        If your goal is simply to improve the services, iterative diagnostic
        usability testing, in which you

        - have representative end users perform tasks that your services are
        designed to support

        - observe obstacles to success

        - make changes to remove the obstacles

        is faster and much more cost effective

        http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20000319.html

        The challenge for you is that you'd be doing the testing only after
        completing the system, when making changes is likely to be the most
        expensive it's been in the entire development cycle. Had you tested
        early prototypes that are quick to build and that you can comfortably
        change without throwing out the results of considerable development
        effort, it's likely you could have made significant improvements to
        the user interface for a tiny fraction of what it will cost you now.
        When choosing the medium for early prototypes, what's most important
        is being able to make changes quickly. Paper prototypes can be
        excellent for this, and Carolyn Snyder's book

        http://www.paperprototyping.com/

        does a great job of explaining how to conduct usability tests with
        early prototypes, and I expect that Todd Warfel's forthcoming book

        http://rosenfeldmedia.com/books/prototyping/

        will also be good. Todd recently did a workshop on Agile and Paper
        Prototyping at Agile 2008

        http://toddwarfel.com/archives/agile-and-paper-prototyping-slides/

        Regardless of the testing approach you use, you'll need to decide how
        many participants to include and from which countries. If you can
        afford to be patient, the most cost-effective approach would be to
        start with just a couple of the countries you serve, find and address
        problems that are likely to be common to all the countries, and only
        then do broader testing to uncover problems that are specific to each
        country. It's best to conduct test sessions in the native language of
        each country, and you'll need to weigh the advantages of

        - having fewer test facilitators who work with interpreters, which
        lets them see firsthand the differences in different countries

        - having facilitators who are fluent in the language of each country
        in which you'll test.

        Finally, remote usability testing, which uses an online conferencing
        service like WebEx or GoToMeeting so that participants and observers
        do not need to be at the same location, can greatly reduce the cost
        of the testing. It's also more comfortable for participants, who can
        join from home or work rather than have to travel to a research
        facility. These days, most of the usability tests I conduct are
        remote, and with adjustments to the way I facilitate, I estimate that
        I'm getting at least 80% of the data from remote tests that I get
        from in-person tests. The most important adjustments are

        - Ask more questions

        - Encourage participants to think aloud even more than in in-person sessions

        I can then use verbal cues in place of visual cues to understand what
        participants are experiencing. The main reason that we don't all the
        data we get from in-person tests is that it takes more time to
        establish the necessary rapport with participants and to ask more
        questions. I've found that the types and quality of the observations
        are very similar to those we get from in-person tests; only the
        quantity is different.

        Best,

        Mitchell Gass
        uLab | PDA: Learning from Users | Designing with Users
        Berkeley, CA 94707 USA
        +1 510 525-6864 office
        +1 415 637-6552 mobile
        +1 510 525-4246 fax