Re: [agile-usability] Philosopher Customers

  • Tim Haughton
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 10, 2004
      Rob Keefer wrote:
      > I agree with the idea that an agile development team
      > should treat usability/interaction designers as a
      > customer. This idea got me thinking of Plato's
      > Philosopher Kings, and I finally had a chance to look
      > up the following passage from The Republic, in which
      > Socrates introduces his concept:

      That's a blast from the past. Something else from (I think) The Republic
      is Plato's simile of the Ship, in which the philosopher is captain, and
      he navigates using the stars. Of course, the stars in his simile
      represented the forms, which were essentially objective truths. For our
      purposes, what could the stars be? Design patterns maybe?

      "Daddy daddy, I can see The Plough and Orion's Belt."

      "No son, that's the Visitor and the Adapter."

      "You're such a geek daddy."

      "I know son, I know."

      Regards,

      Tim Haughton