Re: [agile-usability] Re: Code implements the UI - or does it?

  • Jeff White
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 19 4:11 PM
      Hi William,

      Was good meeting you at Agile 08. I've been familiar with the principles since starting work in Agile environments about a year and a half ago - they weren't something I was unaware of or didn't see. We actually had them posted throughout the office when my last company made the switch.

      To answer your question, no. After reading the principles I didn't feel any differently about the lack of UX practice in Agile.

      IMO, Jeff Patton did a good job of presenting the reason behind the exclusion of UX in his latest article:

      "In the lower left of my simple 4 quadrant model I place software built internally for use by an organization where usage is mandatory for its target users. I explained that this is where Agile processes originated from. I also explained that strong user experience practice rarely exists here.... But, given this starting context where user experience practice isn't well understood, no one should be surprised that user experience practice isn't well understood in Agile development - at least not out of the box."

      http://agileproductdesign.com/blog/emerging_best_agile_ux_practice.html

      Jeff

      On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 10:34 PM, William Pietri <william@...> wrote:

      Excellent question. My suspicion is no, not without similar hackery, but I'm still thinking. In the meantime, let me ask a question of self-identified UX/ID/UI/HCI people:

      Do those who feel that the Agile Manifesto doesn't make enough room for them and their work feel differently if they read the principles?

      They're here:

      http://agilemanifesto.org/principles.html

      Curiously,