Re: [agile-usability] designer owns presentation layer?

  • Erik Hanson
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 6, 2004
      On Aug 31, 2004, at 9:20 AM, William Pietri wrote:
      > On a current project, the project manager is an expert web UI designer.
      > He maintains the CSS files nearly exclusively, and usually produces
      > HTML
      > mockups for the developers, who tear them into OO-shaped pieces and
      > implement them.
      >
      > This has worked quite well. At first the designer was nervous giving up
      > control of the HTML, but any changes he want happen quickly. Also, the
      > developers, who are always looking for oppotunities for reuse, have
      > made
      > the HTML more consistent across sections of the application. The
      > breadcrumb trails, for example, are perfectly consistent because
      > they're
      > all rendered by the same object.

      I like this approach.

      I have worked on a few webapp projects where we spent a lot of time
      implementing or integrating template systems. The reward for all this
      up-front effort was that the UI folks could change the UI whenever they
      pleased. However, most of the UI changes usually required code changes
      as well, and those code changes were harder because we had to modify a
      lot of hard-to-test, hard-to-reuse template stuff.

      > Eventually, we do expect some sort of framework to come out of this, so
      > that anybody, designer or developer, can declare things in templates or
      > configuration files. But the time for that hasn't yet come.

      I'm going to guess that the time for that will never come.

      Erik