Would goal-directed thinking invent something new?

  • Petteri Hiisilä
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2004
      Hi,

      Let's do a little test:

      1. Think of some real-life situation that happens quite often to quite many people.

      2. Who are those people? What are their goals? What are they aiming at? If they had a free human assistant, what would they ask them to do? What does a "success" mean to them?

      3. What kind of invention would solve at least part of the puzzle?

      Don't get into details, just describe a problem that needs to be solved and applies to decent amount of real human needs. Forget the technical details, but try to keep in mind that it has to be feasible in a reasonable time/budget/technical frame.

      I'll start:

      1. John's a salesman. He sells stuff to corporations. He travels a lot, visits big companies and presents his stuff by using PowerPoint slides. Usually his clients already have a laptop and a projector he could use. He's frustrated, because he has to carry a laptop and a projector around, and it always takes time to set up a projector next to his client's. Sometimes he's asked to plug his laptop into his client's projector to save time, but John is usually very unsuccessful with technology. He barely knows how to use his own projector. But he knows everything about his products, he's very smart and funny, and he's a very good salesman.

      2. His goal is, of course, is not to have a successful PowerPoint presentation. His goal is to sell his stuff! But for now, he doesn't know any better way than to have a successful sales presentation. It's a neccessary evil. So let's optimize that. John. must be convincing, effective and a bit funny too. He must not look like he's stupid!

      3. John would need a little widget that he can carry around. The widget contains his presentation. At the client's site he's (as almost always) given a permission to use the semi-public laptop and projector. He connects the widget into laptop and the presentation starts right away. He can now disconnect the widget and remotely change slides with it. When he's done, he presses the "done" button in the widget and the laptop is like it was before his visit.

      Now it's your turn.

      Forget technology! Think that it's black magic, or think that your "John" has a human assistant to take care of everything!

      You know that you've arrived into a goal whan asking "why" sounds silly. It's OK to ask "why does John have to use PowerPoint", but it's silly to ask "why does John need to sell his stuff". Get to the top, then work your way down to the optimized, feasible solution.

      Remember, we're trying to invent, not to build! Don't talk about bluetooth or USB! We're all professionals enough to see how it can be implemented, if it can be implemented.

       - Petteri

      --
      Petteri Hiisilä
      Palveluarkkitehti / Interaction Designer /

      "I know what I believe. I will continue to believe
      what I believe and what I believe - I believe what
      I believe is right."

      - George W. Bush
    • Petteri Hiisilä
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 12, 2004
        > 3. John would need a little widget that he can carry around. The widget
        > contains his presentation. At the client's site he's (as almost always)
        > given a permission to use the semi-public laptop and projector. He
        > connects the widget into laptop and the presentation starts right away.
        > He can now disconnect the widget and remotely change slides with it.
        > When he's done, he presses the "done" button in the widget and the
        > laptop is like it was before his visit.

        I checked if that was already invented. It was! It's protected by three
        US patents, others pending.

        http://www.rppresenter.com/

        "RemotePoint Global Presenter"

        "Interlink Electronics will unveil its new RemotePoint Presenter, a $199
        remote with slideshow controls, a laser pointer and a remote mouse.
        Best of all, its receiver unit, which plugs into a USB port, has 32MB of
        storage, letting you save a PowerPoint file..."

        Bollocks.

        - Petteri