RE: [agile-usability] Re: [XP] XP and Big Interaction Design Up Front

  • Dave Cronin
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2004
      Not that I'm speaking for Alan or anything, but since I work here at
      Cooper, I thought I'd just correct one misperception for y'all:

      > Paolo Bizzarri wrote:
      >
      > I am reading the otherwise enjoyable book "The Inmates are Running the

      > Asylum", by Alan Cooper.
      >
      > As far as I understand, it is strongly against iteration development
      > for building a coherent approach to interaction among users and
      > programs.

      Around here, we generally believe that while iteration development may
      be a highly effective way to build software, as well as determine
      low-level requirements and interface designs, there is a better way to
      initially define a product and develop a high-level interaction design
      which involves upfront user, business and technical research, analysis
      and synthesis.

      -dave

      __________

      Cooper | humanizing technology

      David Cronin
      Principal Design Consultant

      main (415) 267 3500
      direct (415) 267 3504
      dave@... | www.cooper.com

      49 Stevenson, #1200
      San Francisco CA 94105

      All information in this message is proprietary & confidential.
      __________
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2004
        On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 10:42, Dave Cronin wrote:
        > > As far as I understand, it is strongly against iteration development
        > > for building a coherent approach to interaction among users and
        > > programs.
        >
        > Around here, we generally believe that while iteration development may
        > be a highly effective way to build software, as well as determine
        > low-level requirements and interface designs, there is a better way to
        > initially define a product and develop a high-level interaction design
        > which involves upfront user, business and technical research, analysis
        > and synthesis.

        Interesting! That's a different impression than I had from, say, reading
        the interactions between Cooper and Beck. What bad effects have you seen
        from doing the planning in parallel with an agile development process,
        rather than your preferred sequential approach?