Weekly usability tests

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 28, 2008
      Here's a nice article from Jakob Nielsen on using weekly usability
      tests, with a detailed example from a Tivo web site redesign:

      http://www.useit.com/alertbox/weekly-usability-tests.html

      He mentions that not very many teams are doing this. I know some that
      have done it, like Tivo, in bursts around specific projects. Is here
      anybody doing this on an ongoing basis?

      William
    • Stefan Wobben [Concept7]
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 28, 2008
        Hi William,

        We at Concept7 (www.concept7.nl) do usability testing on regular basis.
        Right now we are in the middle of redesiging the user experience of a health care insurers website.

        We started of with developing future scenario's using shell trilemma triangle model (http://www-static.shell.com/static/aboutshell/downloads/our_strategy/shell_global_scenarios/supp_glo_sc.pdf) and making persona's (we used eisenbergs 4 buying-modalities as basis). For each of the persona's we wrote userstories. How would the experience of this persona would be in 2011 for the two most likely scenario's. With these sketches we designed (pencil sketches) how their future websites in the both scenario's could look like. We also made a list with possible functionalities.

        This we validated with users. Using a method called 'buy-a-feature' (http://buyafeature.com/baf/). With this input we were able define a list of must-haves.
        No we are in the phase of paper prototyping, wireframing and visual design + xhtml. Every friday we recruit five participants. We schedule on hour per participants and fifteen minutes break between. We do typical user testing. User gets a task and thinks aloud (or if it's visual design we usually use Eye-cue bases retrospective protocol). Also the wireframes we eyetrack. Between the participants the usability makes notes of the most important things. After al participants have been testing the usability researcher has one our to make a presentation with the keyfindings. The last hour the whole development teams gathers (usability researchers, interaction designers, client, projectmanagers, visual designer) and discusses the findings and makes aan actionplan.

        Because we have a complete video of the usertest and audio we also have the opportunity too look into the session in more detail if needed.

        Because we can't always be sure whats works best in all situations we are also developing small variations in the design so that we could easily implement multivariate testing in the next phase.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 28, 2008
          Yes - us... But also Facebook, Microsoft (games) etc..etc...

          (cavat -- I am currently developing analysis software to get fast insight to usability issues), but I have been using frequent user tests for years.

          Weekly Usability. It invaluable, but there are issues. You have the first problem -- how many participants. You have to be very careful of noise. You need to set hard Performance Indicators, otherwise the analysis takes too long, and it also protects you against noise. It is great in finding any major issues. It is also a good idea if the whole team is used, as they then can understand the issues.

          James

          On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 7:01 PM, William Pietri <william@...> wrote:

          Here's a nice article from Jakob Nielsen on using weekly usability
          tests, with a detailed example from a Tivo web site redesign:

          http://www.useit.com/alertbox/weekly-usability-tests.html

          He mentions that not very many teams are doing this. I know some that
          have done it, like Tivo, in bursts around specific projects. Is here
          anybody doing this on an ongoing basis?

          William

        • John Schrag
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 28, 2008
            I worked on a project some years ago where we ran a test every other Wednesday, over a nine-month period.  (5 people for each test, selected from a rotating pool of about 30 people).  It worked really well, so long as we had two UX people on the team, and an admin who did the actual recruiting, scheduling and booking of testers.

            On my current project, there's just me doing UX, and I have no admin, so I'm doing all my own recruiting, scheduling and booking.  So the best I can manage now is one test every four weeks, which isn't as good.  But I like the basic idea:  you just book your tests on a regular basis.  There's always *something* to look at when the time rolls around.

            -john schrag
            Autodesk Toronto