RE: [agile-usability] Could UI Engineering have lead to Wiki?

    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
      -- [Phlip]
      Humans, collaborating to write a Web site, most
      frequently want to upload simple paragraphs of text,
      containing a few markup codes and links to other pages
      in the same site.

      The least simple solution gives all the users
      expensive "WYSIWYG" editors and complex upload
      protocols. The most simple solution gives each Web
      page an "EditPage" button. When you click it, you get
      a page containing the previous page's content area
      rendered as a big edit field. The content area
      contains not HTML source but a tiny breezy markup
      language.
      ----

      That's the simplest solution from an implementation point of view, but it's
      not the most usable one. Non-technical users HATE markup languages, even
      simple ones like wiki-markup (although my experience with grade 4 kids shows
      that they can learn it quickly). A more usable solution would be a simple
      WYSIWYG editor that runs inside the browser and only enables basic things
      like: link creation, bolding, italicising, indenting, bullet-pointing etc. I
      believe that IS the optimal UI for writing web sites collaboratively, and
      that we will eventually be there in a few years from now.

      Unfortunately, the more usable solution is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH harder to
      implement (remember: only 10 pages of code for the simple solution!), yet it
      is *NOT* MUCH, MUCH, MUCH easier to use. So it makes sense to go for the
      implementationally simpler solution.

      I have read a lot of messages on this list in the past week that say you
      should not think about implementation complexity while doing the interaction
      design. I think that is dangerous, as pointed out by the Wiki example.

      I have also heard people say that you should first design the ideal UI from
      the point of view of the user, and then downgrade that to something which is
      implementationally simple yet satisfactory to the user. Some people have
      commented that such downgrading is hard to do without compromising
      usability, and I agree with that. I would add that the initial UI design may
      constrain your thinking about implementation and make it hard to come up
      with the right compromise between implementation simplicity and usability.

      To sum up the points, you shouldn't optimize usability without paying
      attention to implementation simplicity, anymore than you should optimize
      implementation simplicity without paying attention to usability.

      So we need a methodology that allows UI experts and developpers to
      communicate and collaboratively come up with a design that satisfies both
      aspects. That's one of the reasons why I like Contextual Design (in
      particular the agile version that Hugh presented at XPAU 2004). It allows
      the whole team (not just UI experts) to get immersed in customer data and
      collaboratively make rational decisions about what to implement.

      ----
      Alain Désilets, MASc
      Agent de recherches/Research Officer

      alain.desilets@...
      Tél/Tel (613) 990-2813
      Facsimile/télécopieur: (613) 952-7151

      Ottawa (Ontario) K1A 0R6
      K1A 0R6

    • Petteri Hiisilä
      Message 2 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
        Alain wrote:
        To sum up the points, you shouldn't optimize usability without paying
        attention to implementation simplicity, anymore than you should optimize
        implementation simplicity without paying attention to usability.

        So we need a methodology that allows UI experts and developpers to
        communicate and collaboratively come up with a design that satisfies both
        aspects. That's one of the reasons why I like Contextual Design (in
        particular the agile version that Hugh presented at XPAU 2004). It allows
        the whole team (not just UI experts) to get immersed in customer data and
        collaboratively make rational decisions about what to implement.

        Good, thoughtful views. I must read Hugh's presentation. Is it available online?

        What do you think about Dave's article? I think it touches this discussion:
        http://www.cooper.com/content/insights/newsletters/2003_07/RUP_&_GDD.asp

        A salesman from Rational is going to visit us next month. I'm eager to see what she's going to sell us. I have asked her to read Dave's article, and try to arrange her agile sales lyrics to our goal-directed notes.

        - Petteri

        --
        Petteri Hiisilä
        Palveluarkkitehti / Interaction Designer /

        "I know what I believe. I will continue to believe
        what I believe and what I believe - I believe what
        I believe is right."

        - George W. Bush

      • Ron Jeffries
        Message 3 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
          On Wednesday, September 1, 2004, at 7:34:50 AM, Petteri Hiisilä wrote:

          > I have to drop out lots of details because of confidentiality issues,
          > but I hope this gave you a picture how you can come up with something
          > like Wiki in a goal-directed process.

          Well, yes, but I programmed a wiki from scratch in about the time it took
          to read about this. :)

          Ron Jeffries
          www.XProgramming.com
          You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
          --Inigo Montoya
          Message 4 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
            Message
            To sum up the points, you shouldn't optimize usability without paying
            attention to implementation simplicity, anymore than you should optimize
            implementation simplicity without paying attention to usability.

            So we need a methodology that allows UI experts and developpers to
            communicate and collaboratively come up with a design that satisfies both
            aspects. That's one of the reasons why I like Contextual Design (in
            particular the agile version that Hugh presented at XPAU 2004). It allows
            the whole team (not just UI experts) to get immersed in customer data and
            collaboratively make rational decisions about what to implement.

            [Petteri]:

             Good, thoughtful views. I must read Hugh's presentation. Is it available online?

            [Alain]
            The paper in question is only available in the paper proceedings of XPAU 2004.

            Hugh, do you have other online resources on Rapid CD?

            [Petteri]:

            What do you think about Dave's article? I think it touches this discussion:
            http://www.cooper.com/content/insights/newsletters/2003_07/RUP_&_GDD.asp

            A salesman from Rational is going to visit us next month. I'm eager to see what she's going to sell us. I have asked her to read Dave's article, and try to arrange her agile sales lyrics to our goal-directed notes.

            [Alain]:

            One thing I really like about CD is that it focuses on understanding the WORK that the user needs to do, as opposed to what the user wants (or thinks he wants) to do with the SYSTEM. GDD seems to share that trait with CD.

            At some point though, this knowlege of the user's goals needs to be translated into a set of system functionality.
            A second thing I like about CD is that it recommends that the vision for that set of functionality should be developped collaboratively by a pluridisciplinary team (business people, users, UI experts and yes, developpers). I think this is crucial to coming up with a vision for an "optimal" system. Here by optimal, I mean a system that efficiently supports the user's work, while satisfying other requirements (ex: cost, timeline for deployment, portability, maintainability). I don't know enough about GDD to say wether or not it shares that second trait with CD.

            Message 5 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
              Alain:
              > I don't know enough about GDD to say wether or not it shares that
              second trait with CD.

              It does :)

              GDD and CD have a lot in common. Both work, and to my personal
              experience, they complement each other nicely. My co-designer is a
              contextual designer.

              Karen Holtzblatt, InContext co-founder and CEO (Hugh's co-author) has
              written about GDD's way of describing end users, which are called Personas:
              http://www.incent.com/community/design_corner/02_0913.html

              - Petteri
            • Petteri Hiisilä
              Message 6 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
                >> I have to drop out lots of details because of confidentiality issues,
                >> but I hope this gave you a picture how you can come up with something
                >> like Wiki in a goal-directed process.

                > Well, yes, but I programmed a wiki from scratch in about the time it
                took
                > to read about this. :)

                :)

                - ph
              • Hugh Beyer
                Message 7 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
                  Yes, Wiki is a great, very goal-oriented piece of invention. Someone must have had a goal-directed mind to come up with something like that. We use it as our documenting tool at the moment, and the documenting speed has at least tripled. Almost everybody use it.

                  And yes, goal-directed design excercise brings up solutions like that, and better. User-centered design always doesn't. There's a BIG difference. E-mail wasn't invented by stuying envelope usability, or asking snail-mail users how the envelope should be improved. We need to understand deeper motivations and frustrations to be really really creative.

                  I'm not saying that UI engineering or user-centered methodology can't do that. A lot still depends on the designer's personal abilities. A formal design process based on and directed by a deep understanding of human goals and motivations can greatly improve your chances of success.
                  I assume you mean "user-centered design doesn't always" result in solutions like that?

                  Even so, I think your view of user-centered design is too narrow. What are the goals that you are directing your design towards? You can't know unless you talk to them. Note that Wiki is an example of people designing for themselves and people like them, which isn't the case for most of us.

                      Hugh

                • Hugh Beyer
                  Message 8 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
                    To sum up the points, you shouldn't optimize usability without paying
                    attention to implementation simplicity, anymore than you should optimize
                    implementation simplicity without paying attention to usability.

                    So we need a methodology that allows UI experts and developpers to
                    communicate and collaboratively come up with a design that satisfies both
                    aspects. That's one of the reasons why I like Contextual Design (in
                    particular the agile version that Hugh presented at XPAU 2004). It allows
                    the whole team (not just UI experts) to get immersed in customer data and
                    collaboratively make rational decisions about what to implement.

                    Good, thoughtful views. I must read Hugh's presentation. Is it available online?
                    I can probably make it available if that would be useful.

                    Also, note that XP envisions a discussion between the Customer (Team) and the developers. Customers don't just toss their stories over the wall and disappear. I would expect the trade-off between implementation effort and utility to be part of that conversation.

                        Hugh

                    Message 9 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004

                      On Wednesday, September 1, 2004, at 7:34:50 AM, Petteri Hiisilä wrote:

                      > I have to drop out lots of details because of confidentiality issues,
                      > but I hope this gave you a picture how you can come up with something
                      > like Wiki in a goal-directed process.

                      Well, yes, but I programmed a wiki from scratch in about the time it took
                      to read about this. :)

                      [Jeff P.]

                      I haven’t read back up this thread, so I’m coming in late.  I suspect Petteri described how one might design a wiki using goal directed design.  By that I mean “invent” it.  Ron, I suspect you are able to technically design a wiki given a working prototype – like every other wiki you’ve seen before.  The question is could you invent something like a wiki in a few minutes?  If you had to invent something very appropriate for a particular task, as appropriate as a wiki is to its task, how would you go about it?  If you start by thinking about the people who will be using the tool, what their goals are, and how they might best achieve their goals, AND you think about those things before you write you first line of code, you’d be doing design up front, and using a user-centered design approach at that.  Interaction Design, User Centered Design, Product Design isn’t about how you document requirements for developers – it’s how you design/invent those requirements.

                      I’d be curious how you’d go about inventing something as appropriate as a wiki?  What steps would you go through to discover what a best solution might be?

                      -Jeff

                      Message 10 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
                        On Wednesday, September 1, 2004, at 5:50:28 PM, Jeff Patton wrote:

                        > I haven’t read back up this thread, so I’m coming in late. I suspect
                        > Petteri described how one might design a wiki using goal directed design.
                        > By that I mean “invent” it. Ron, I suspect you are able to technically
                        > design a wiki given a working prototype – like every other wiki you’ve seen
                        > before. The question is could you invent something like a wiki in a few
                        > minutes?

                        I'm not sure that is the question, but I accept that it is /a/ question.

                        My point was that the process Petteri described took a long time just to
                        describe, and very much longer to execute, and that in the time it would
                        take, one very likely has the choice between having an idea at the end of
                        the time, or an idea plus a program that implements the idea. I believe the
                        latter is generally preferable.

                        > If you had to invent something very appropriate for a particular
                        > task, as appropriate as a wiki is to its task, how would you go about it?
                        > If you start by thinking about the people who will be using the tool, what
                        > their goals are, and how they might best achieve their goals, AND you think
                        > about those things before you write you first line of code, you’d be doing
                        > design up front, and using a user-centered design approach at that.
                        > Interaction Design, User Centered Design, Product Design isn’t about how you
                        > document requirements for developers – it’s how you design/invent those
                        > requirements.

                        Yes. And there now exist developers who can develop things almost as
                        rapidly as they can be thought of -- far more rapidly than is
                        conventionally thought. That changes the point of optimum between dreaming,
                        and dreaming plus building.

                        You know exactly what I'm talking about, I feel certain. How long do you
                        recommend people sit around musing about a way to enter stuff into a web
                        site before getting down to building it? A few days? A week? A month? A
                        year?

                        > I’d be curious how you’d go about inventing something as appropriate as a
                        > wiki? What steps would you go through to discover what a best solution
                        > might be?

                        As far as I know, there are no "steps" for invention. I would work
                        intimately with people who had the problem, talking, doing paper
                        prototypes, and showing them running tested software throughout. I'd try
                        not to lock in technically or otherwise, on anything.

                        I'm not sure it would lead to a "best" solution, nor that a "best" solution
                        is possible, or even well-defined. I'm sure it would lead to something that
                        met the needs in cost and function as well as the assembled multitudes were
                        able to imagine.

                        It would be my guess, by the way, that explaining a wiki is somewhere
                        between impossible and pointless. Everyone I've ever explained it to, or
                        heard of having it explained to them, didn't get it. Everyone who tries
                        it, gets it.

                        What would you do in a situation such as you described? How different do
                        you imagine it to be from what I'd do?

                        Ron Jeffries
                        www.XProgramming.com
                        It is not the strongest of the species that survive, not the most intelligent,
                        but the one most responsive to change. -- Charles Darwin
                      • Lauren Berry
                        Message 11 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
                          Message

                           > Unfortunately, the more usable solution is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH harder to
                           > implement (remember: only 10 pages of code for the simple solution!), yet it
                           > is *NOT* MUCH, MUCH, MUCH easier to use. So it makes sense to go for the
                           > implementationally simpler solution.

                          I think this is a very relevant comment.  would your user rather have a "pretty good" product (in terms of usability) now, or an "awesome" product in 3 months time?

                        • Keith Nicholas
                          Message 12 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
                            Some stuff you can go right ahead and develop and have working software
                            very quickly, however this often has a low amount of invention.

                            We have a vision processing system....we have researchers who invent new
                            ways of processing these images to work out new information.. We have
                            control systems where we have researchers coming up with control
                            algorithms.... we don't immediately try to express the ideas in
                            software (sometimes we do if it's the quickest thing to explore an
                            idea...). The domain of Machine Vision and the domain of Control Theory
                            have their own ways and methods of inventing / designing things. These
                            then get expressed in software. Then depending on how the feedback from
                            that goes more changes may be made to the software or other techniques
                            will be used to come up with solutions.

                            I think the same kinds of thing applies with Interaction Design. Some
                            stuff doesn't take too much to develop, you can very quickly apply well
                            known ideas and principles (patterns) and get a good working piece of
                            software. Sometimes you need to invent a new kind of interaction.
                            Expressing this in software may or may not be the fastest way to develop
                            this idea.

                            Part of what influences this is... How good does it have to be? Do you
                            really need to invent something new?

                            Regards,

                            Keith

                          • Frank Maurer
                            Message 13 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
                              Message
                               > Unfortunately, the more usable solution is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH harder to
                               > implement (remember: only 10 pages of code for the simple solution!), yet it
                               > is *NOT* MUCH, MUCH, MUCH easier to use. So it makes sense to go for the
                               > implementationally simpler solution.

                              I think this is a very relevant comment.  would your user rather have a "pretty good" product (in terms of usability) now, or an "awesome" product in 3 months time?
                              [Frank Maurer] This is exactly a core difference: usability (the focus of interaction design, ..) versus business value (the focus of the agile community). These dimensions are not the same - although there is a big overlap.

                              Frank
                              Message 14 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
                                --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, Ron Jeffries
                                <ronjeffries@X...> wrote:
                                > I'm not sure that is the question, but I accept that it is /a/
                                question.

                                I probably should have read the original question. ;-)

                                > My point was that the process Petteri described took a long time
                                just to
                                > describe, and very much longer to execute, and that in the time it
                                would
                                > take, one very likely has the choice between having an idea at the
                                end of
                                > the time, or an idea plus a program that implements the idea. I
                                believe the
                                > latter is generally preferable.

                                I'd agree. I spent the better part of the day today building paper
                                prototyoes. [BTW: _Paper Prototying_ from Carolyn Snyder's a very
                                worthwhile book.] The testing with the customers went great. As a
                                result of doing some simple role and task analysis, our UI prototypes
                                were more right than I expected. The customer group had fun going
                                through them; we got a lot of great feedback; the experience was
                                pretty worthwhile. The whole process from drawing the prototypes
                                through testing and feedback took a few hours.

                                But while building thes prototypes I kept thinking to myself that it
                                really wouldn't take me too much longer to build this stuff in
                                code.

                                > Yes. And there now exist developers who can develop things almost as
                                > rapidly as they can be thought of -- far more rapidly than is
                                > conventionally thought. That changes the point of optimum between
                                dreaming,
                                > and dreaming plus building.

                                I buy that. I believe that many traditional interaction designers
                                have too much experience with with the other kind of developers.

                                > You know exactly what I'm talking about, I feel certain. How long
                                do you
                                > recommend people sit around musing about a way to enter stuff into
                                a web
                                > site before getting down to building it? A few days? A week? A
                                month? A
                                > year?

                                A few hours. Maybe a day or two. But, the dreaming continues while
                                the building continues. Either by different people at the same time,
                                or by developers who know how to do the dreaming in a productive way,
                                and how to change hats. Think of how Fowler described changing hats
                                from the refactoring hat to the coding/building hat. Once you
                                realize you're changing hats, you can learn to do it pretty quickly.

                                > As far as I know, there are no "steps" for invention. I would work
                                > intimately with people who had the problem, talking, doing paper
                                > prototypes, and showing them running tested software throughout.
                                I'd try
                                > not to lock in technically or otherwise, on anything.
                                >
                                > I'm not sure it would lead to a "best" solution, nor that a "best"
                                solution
                                > is possible, or even well-defined. I'm sure it would lead to
                                something that
                                > met the needs in cost and function as well as the assembled
                                multitudes were
                                > able to imagine.
                                >
                                > It would be my guess, by the way, that explaining a wiki is
                                somewhere
                                > between impossible and pointless. Everyone I've ever explained it
                                to, or
                                > heard of having it explained to them, didn't get it. Everyone who
                                tries
                                > it, gets it.
                                >
                                > What would you do in a situation such as you described?

                                I think there _are_ steps - sort of. Not N steps that when followed
                                always work, but rather lots of dependent techniques that when
                                applied allow you to circle closer to solutions. User centered
                                design stuff like roles and role models, personas, task models,
                                protoypes, collaboration, and conversation. When in doubt, I pack my
                                head full of interesting information gleamed from these techniques
                                about the people the product serves and what I /really/ believe their
                                goals to be, then I sleep on it. Invention often occurrs at some
                                later time, accidentally. But, it's not so accidental when you
                                consider the fertile ground you gave it to grow in.

                                I think there are lots of other ways to create fertile ground ground
                                for invention, and I'm confident you know lots yourself. [if anyone
                                knows something about fertalizer creation it's Ron... ;-)] I kinda
                                like this UCD stuff because it acknowledges there is something you
                                can do and provides some techniques that seem to be working - at
                                least for me.

                                > How different do
                                > you imagine it to be from what I'd do?

                                I think you're like most "level 3" people - I think that's what
                                Alistair would call you. You're smart enough, you listen well
                                enough, and think clearly enough that you do what seems to be the
                                most appropriate thing, and it often works out right. If it doesn't
                                you learn and adjust. I just don't think most folks are like you -
                                at least not yet. Just as XP gives some "wax-on-wax-off" sorts of
                                guidelines for developers that ultimately help them evolve past the
                                practices into thinking more clearly about their craft, I belive UCD
                                provides a similar mental framework for designers to invent best
                                solutions to user's problems. I don't belive it's the only way -
                                just as I don't believe it's necessary to develop good software test-
                                first. But, just as I wouldn't write code without using a unit
                                testing framework, I wouldn't design without out applying at least
                                rudimentary UCD approaches.

                                Sorry for the long winded response - and thank you for your response.

                                -Jeff

                                Message 15 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
                                  Message
                                  [Frank Maurer] versus business value (the focus of the agile community).
                                  [Lauren] i'd say the focus of EVERY bussiness - surely?
                                   > Unfortunately, the more usable solution is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH harder to
                                   > implement (remember: only 10 pages of code for the simple solution!), yet it
                                   > is *NOT* MUCH, MUCH, MUCH easier to use. So it makes sense to go for the
                                   > implementationally simpler solution.

                                  I think this is a very relevant comment.  would your user rather have a "pretty good" product (in terms of usability) now, or an "awesome" product in 3 months time?
                                  [Frank Maurer] This is exactly a core difference: usability (the focus of interaction design, ..) versus business value (the focus of the agile community). These dimensions are not the same - although there is a big overlap.

                                  Frank

                                • Jon Kern
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
                                    Message
                                    i'll exhibit poor etiquette here by doing a cannonball into this long thread. (Been so busy i am 200+ unread posts behind... and the topic was a headline grabber :=)

                                    In some sense, I would argue that you cannot even ask this loaded (?) question -- unless, you pose it with a twist.

                                    If a business need requested the features and functions that a wiki exhibits, gave a hint at the users, and a glance at the budget, then I hope that UI engineering would have arrived at the simple solution that is a wiki, as ward knows it :=)

                                    1) If UI engineering would not have arrived at the wiki-like solution, then go and fix the engineering principles

                                    2) This might be a great test!

                                    Would UI engineering create Google?
                                    How about IM clients?
                                    I hope to Goodness it wouldn't create MS Word...

                                    3) Who says there wasn't UI engineering involved??

                                    Thanks for indulging my barging in post... Sorry if it repeats others'

                                    -- jon

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Sep 2, 2004
                                      Hugh Beyer wrote:
[...]

                                      Yes, I spend most of my time either talking to end users or thinking about their goals. And also I spend most of my time talking to engineers. As I wrote before, they sit next to me.  I'm sorry if don't make myself clear. It's kinda hard with email.

                                      I'd be ready to argue, that almost any user-centered / goal-directed / hat-invented process works as long as in the beginning you spend 80 % of your brain processing time on thinking very very hard, how your design will fulfill some real human users real needs in a realistic day. Very practical thinking. It's not just the process. It's the attitude, mindset, way of seeing things. I don't have any backup for this idea, and I'm not willing to present any. But I see this pattern in most methods that aim to humanize technology, and it has been working brilliantly in every single project that I've done. And the opposite hasn't.

                                       - Petteri

                                          Hugh

                                    • Keith Nicholas
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Sep 2, 2004
                                        This is what XP is....

                                        fufill a real need - Story scheduled by customer
                                        lots of thinking about design expressed as deliverable software

                                        Only difference here is how much time you need to do this.

                                        The challenge to interaction designers is can you do it in small
                                        amounts of time in an incremental way? Same question was put to Big
                                        Design Up Front people in the software design world....effective
                                        techniques and thinking mindsets came about that allowed for very
                                        quick delivery of software

                                        Can you come up with new thinking that will allow for very quick
                                        incremental interaction designs? If not, Im sure thats what will
                                        happen....It will all be agilized. :-)

                                        Regards,

                                        Keith

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Sep 2, 2004
                                          Message
                                          [Alain]

                                            > Unfortunately, the more usable solution is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH harder to
                                           > implement (remember: only 10 pages of code for the simple solution!), yet it
                                           > is *NOT* MUCH, MUCH, MUCH easier to use. So it makes sense to go for the
                                           > implementationally simpler solution.

                                          [Lauren]
                                          I think this is a very relevant comment.  would your user rather have a "pretty good" product (in terms of usability) now, or an "awesome" product in 3 months time?

                                          [Alain]

                                          I think you misunderstand what I meant by "MUCH, MUCH, MUCH harder to implement". The question is more:

                                          Would your user rather have a "pretty good" product now, or invest into one year of development with no assurance that the "awesome" product can be done?

                                          The reason it's not clear that it can be done is that dynamic HTML is not standard across browsers. So far, the only WYSIWIG HTML editing tools I have seen that run inside a browser can only run inside IE.

                                          I think the market has already answered that question. A google search for allinurl: wiki shows that there are over 13 million pages out there that are served by wiki clones. Not bad for something that started out as 10 pages of perl code (BTW: allinurl: asp = 250 million pages and allinurl: jsp = 43 millions pages). On the other hand, I don't know of too many sites (none actually) that are served by a server that allows WYSIWYG editing inside the browser.

                                          ----

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Sep 2, 2004
                                            Message
                                            [John]
                                            If a business need requested the features and functions that a wiki exhibits, gave a hint at the users, and a glance at the budget, then I hope that UI engineering would have arrived at the simple solution that is a wiki, as ward knows it :=)

                                            -- [Alain]
                                            I believe a UI engineering process that focuses on optimising usability instead of business value probably would not (read my posting dated 9/1/2004 7:38 for details of that argument).
                                            ----

                                            1) If UI engineering would not have arrived at the wiki-like solution, then go and fix the engineering principles

                                            -- [Alain]
                                            The fix is to make sure that you don't focus just on usability and that the vision for the system be created by a multidisciplinary team that collectively knows about the whole problem-solution space (business, users, UI designers and developpers). This is characterisitc of some interaction design methodologies (CD and GDD in particular), but I have read a lot of threads on this list recently that seemed to focus on usability only. So I don't think that this wisdom is well accepted in the UI design community.
                                            -----

                                            3) Who says there wasn't UI engineering involved??

                                            -- [Alain]:
                                            Well, let's find out. Who knows Ward well enough to ask him the question and have a good chance of getting a reply (I don't)?
                                            ----
                                          • Lauren Berry
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Sep 2, 2004
                                              Message

                                                > Unfortunately, the more usable solution is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH harder to
                                               > implement (remember: only 10 pages of code for the simple solution!), yet it
                                               > is *NOT* MUCH, MUCH, MUCH easier to use. So it makes sense to go for the
                                               > implementationally simpler solution.

                                              [Lauren]
                                              I think this is a very relevant comment.  would your user rather have a "pretty good" product (in terms of usability) now, or an "awesome" product in 3 months time?

                                              [Alain]

                                              I think you misunderstand what I meant by "MUCH, MUCH, MUCH harder to implement". The question is more:

                                              Would your user rather have a "pretty good" product now, or invest into one year of development with no assurance that the "awesome" product can be done?

                                              [Lauren] yes i did understand, I completely agree, i was going for best case - worst case of course is the product is no better and is delivered late! I imagined everyone would have realised this was not guaranteed.

                                            • Hugh Beyer
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Sep 2, 2004
                                                > As far as I know, there are no "steps" for invention. I would work
                                                > intimately with people who had the problem, talking, doing paper
                                                > prototypes, and showing them running tested software throughout.

                                                I think there _are_ steps - sort of.  Not N steps that when followed
                                                always work, but rather lots of dependent techniques that when
                                                applied allow you to circle closer to solutions.  User centered
                                                design stuff like roles and role models, personas, task models,
                                                protoypes, collaboration, and conversation.  When in doubt, I pack my
                                                head full of interesting information gleamed from these techniques
                                                about the people the product serves and what I /really/ believe their
                                                goals to be, then I sleep on it.  Invention often occurrs at some
                                                later time, accidentally.  But, it's not so accidental when you
                                                consider the fertile ground you gave it to grow in.

                                                I think there are lots of other ways to create fertile ground ground
                                                for invention, and I'm confident you know lots yourself.  [if anyone
                                                knows something about fertalizer creation it's Ron... ;-)]  I kinda
                                                like this UCD stuff because it acknowledges there is something you
                                                can do and provides some techniques that seem to be working - at
                                                least for me.
                                                Right. What's key, is to bring the understanding of the technology and the user together. How you do that is up to you. Ron does it by getting out there and having lots of interaction with actual users. Jeff is using techniques such as roles and personas to articulate his understanding.

                                                It's fine to work off an unarticulated understanding of your users if you're alone or in a small team where everyone's working closely with each other and with the users. The more formal and explicit representations are useful as ways to talk to each other about what you're finding out; to record what you discover so you can come back to it later; and to explain to other stakeholders why you're doing what you're doing. A not inconsiderable advantage of having a room full of representations of the user is that it's real easy to show a skeptical manager why your design makes sense.

[...]
                                                I would call what Ron describes user-centered design. UCD isn't about any particular technique, it's about designing the system from an intimate understanding of how the user works. Ron's describing a low-overhead way to do that involving lots of back-and-forth conversations and rapid iterations.

                                                    Hugh

                                              • Chris Pehura
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Sep 3, 2004
                                                  I use techniques and processes for invention and creativity. Refer to Innovation Creation
> [...]

                                                  at least not yet.  Just as XP gives some "wax-on-wax-off" sorts of
                                                  guidelines for developers that ultimately help them evolve past the
                                                  practices into thinking more clearly about their craft, I belive UCD
                                                  provides a similar mental framework for designers to invent best
                                                  solutions to user's problems.  I don't belive it's the only way -
                                                  just as I don't believe it's necessary to develop good software test-
                                                  first.  But, just as I wouldn't write code without using a unit
                                                  testing framework, I wouldn't design without out applying at least
                                                  rudimentary UCD approaches.
                                                  I would call what Ron describes user-centered design. UCD isn't about any particular technique, it's about designing the system from an intimate understanding of how the user works. Ron's describing a low-overhead way to do that involving lots of back-and-forth conversations and rapid iterations.

                                                • Dave Cronin
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Sep 7, 2004
                                                    In my experience, true invention is the spark that leaps across the gap
                                                    which deductive/analytical thinking cannot. So in this way, there is no
                                                    process to achieve invention.

                                                    There are, however, many effective techniques for supporting the
                                                    creative process by keeping it somewhat targeted, predictable and by
                                                    tracking a solution's justification, fitness and ramifications.

                                                    Supporting creativity with strong process and technique is critical if
                                                    you consider yourself to be a professional at being inventive. The
                                                    alternative is almost guaranteed churn and disorder. Which is (while
                                                    possibly romantic to the "artist") not at all effective in the mostly
                                                    rationalist world of design.

                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Sep 7, 2004
                                                      Here's an innovation process. Refer to www.triz-journal.com