Re: Interaction designer Scrum Team and planning poker

  • thomas lissajoux
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 22, 2008
      > My assessment is the same -- the best fit for an
      > Interaction Designer is as part of a SCRUM's Product Owner role. In
      > that role the designer is better able to direct the project's
      vision,
      > both from a business perspective and a user experience perspective.
      > This also has the advantage of moving much of the designer's work
      > outside of sprint tasks. Estimating a design's completion can be
      > quite difficult if testing and validation are to be part of that
      > design's "done" criteria.
      I agree with that... to the extent that the designer just doesn't
      stay in its ivory tower and keeps a close contact with the ones doing
      the dirty coding. This all sounds natural on this group, but surely
      needs to be stressed again to lots of Interaction Design folks...

      Hence he should really focus on hi-level lo-fi prototypes (to ensure
      a balance between design and technical capability and avoid potential
      rework).

      One more pro for the designer being part of the PO team is that he
      then is at the core of the value/priorisation process and can focus
      on questions such as : What are essential features ? How can we
      incrementally build this one feature ? What is the relative
      importance of these features ? And most importantly : how does that
      translate across Garrett's planes ?

      Thomas