RE: [agile-usability] Best methods for user feedback before release

  • Tillier, Ivor - Oxford
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 8, 2008

      Hi all,

      Its like the example I read recently on another list  about the question asked to a fast-food chain’s customers, ‘Would you buy a healthier version of our burgers?’.  In the example, many people said ‘yes’ but this didn’t result in increased sales when one was produced because although people felt they should say yes, in reality they wanted the good old high fat version.  These kind of factors can of course be compounded in group situations.

      I can see some benefit of group situations though, in that discussion might encourage users to think about, and explore, issues beyond what they thought were important (OK, a researcher can encourage this in a one–to-one, but it is only after talking to a few people will they have a wide enough range of feedback to enable them to steer the user to different areas that the user might not have considered so far - but have been raised by other users).

      Ivor

      Ivor Tillier

      Senior Web Producer

      01865 476596 itillier@...

      Please do not print this e-mail

      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 8, 2008
        Larry Constantine wrote:

        Years of horror stories from clients have convinced me that even for investigating concepts and what features users/customers want, focus groups are dangerously misleading. First, people do not know what they want; second, what they say is often loosely related if at all with what they want; third, what they want is only weakly correlated with what they need; and fourth, group and social effects dominate over directness in focus groups, even when led by relatively good facilitators. In the end, you really have no idea what the relationship between stated or summarized “findings” and genuine needs and interests. I have literally seen companies invest millions in product and Web development based on and validated by focus groups, only to discover that they had built the wrong system the wrong way.

        Although I am also very suspicious of focus groups, I have seen people get value out of something weirdly similar: parties and get-togethers.

        Here in the land of startups, it's pretty common for people to have launch parties, in-office happy hours, and casual get-togethers with staff, users, and other stakeholders. There is naturally a lot of conversation around topics similar to what one might try to use a focus group to address. People seem to get a lot of value out of that conversation, walking away with ideas, background information, and a better appreciation for the lives of users.

        Perhaps the key difference is in the informality. Nobody would think of writing up "findings" for a party; people know to treat the information gained very lightly.