Re: [agile-usability] Best methods for user feedback before release

  • Todd Zaki Warfel
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 7, 2008

      On Jul 5, 2008, at 5:23 PM, Nick Gassman wrote:

      Focus groups
      Get a number of users together, and talk about concepts and features. Maybe put together some pictures to show them.

      Unless you have a stellar moderator, focus groups tend to produce unreliable and near useless feedback. This is one tool I'd recommend dropping from your toolbox (unless you have a really, really, really great moderator).

      Paper prototyping
      Run an interactive session with typical users, where one person is 'the computer' shifting bits of paper around.

      We've used this method quite a bit with Agile and in fact, I'll be teaching a workshop on Paper Prototype for Agile at the agile 2008 conference this year. Cost is low and you can get some really valuable feedback. Additionally, there are a number of techniques I teach for simulating AJAX interactions using paper. Most of the exercises in my workshop are 4-5 minutes long and end up with fully functional paper prototypes.

      Remote testing in various flavours
      - Morae, observe and interact with individuals using a prototype
      - Put up static images somewhere public and ask for feedback
      - usertesting.com, where you put up 'stuff' and a specified demographic gives you feedback

      We've found remote testing to work well when you have a geographically dispersed group. In one case, we had a client who's employees were located in 32 countries. We used remote testing to observe their current workflows with 48 participants across several of these countries. Then used the same technique to review PDF wireframe prototypes.

      My only caution against something like usertesting.com is that they use "professional testers," which kinda makes me wonder how "real" the feedback will be.

      Interview based 1-1 usability sessions
      Sit down with individual users and set them tasks, see what usability issues come up with your development

      We've used this method quite a bit in an Agile process. Our testing cycle is about 3-4 weeks to recruit, develop a script, prototype, test, and provide feedback. So, if done correctly, you can stay one cycle ahead of the sprint and provide feedback for the upcoming sprint. We used this method this past year for about 6 cycles for a project with a large media/telecom company and it worked quite well.

      Eye tracking
      See what people look at on a screen, and how long for

      Tells you what, but not why. The why is most important.

      Cheers!

      Todd Zaki Warfel
      President, Design Researcher
      Messagefirst | Designing Information. Beautifully.
      ----------------------------------
      Contact Info
      Voice: (215) 825-7423
      Email: todd@...
      Twitter: zakiwarfel
      ----------------------------------
      In practice, they are not.

    • Nick Gassman
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 7, 2008
        On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 09:05:52 -0400, you wrote:

        >On Jul 5, 2008, at 5:23 PM, Nick Gassman wrote:
        >
        >> Focus groups
        >> Get a number of users together, and talk about concepts and
        >> features. Maybe put together some pictures to show them.
        >
        >Unless you have a stellar moderator, focus groups tend to produce
        >unreliable and near useless feedback. This is one tool I'd recommend
        >dropping from your toolbox (unless you have a really, really, really
        >great moderator).

        Hmm. You and Larry Constantine both said this. We use focus groups
        quite a bit for different types of research, often concepts. It's not
        the right thing for detailed usability, but to get a reaction from a
        group about the type of features they want and to stimulate some
        discussion I think it's quite useful. Are you saying that focus groups
        are no good for any type of research, or just some?

        >We've used this method quite a bit with Agile and in fact, I'll be
        >teaching a workshop on Paper Prototype for Agile at the agile 2008
        >conference this year. Cost is low and you can get some really valuable

        See you there.

        * Nick Gassman - Usability and Standards Manager - http://ba.com *
      • Todd Zaki Warfel
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 7, 2008

          On Jul 7, 2008, at 3:33 PM, Nick Gassman wrote:

          but to get a reaction from a group about the type of features they want and to stimulate some discussion I think it's quite useful. Are you saying that focus groups are no good for any type of research, or just some?

          You can get this same feedback on-on-one during a usability session. In fact, during a usability session, you're feedback is even richer, as it has context and doesn't suffer from group think. Not to mention that what people say they want and what they actually use are often quite different. You're better off doing some ethnographic based field research and watching for things people need, than asking a bunch of people "what they think they want."

          They can be useful as a validation technique, but there are so many other methods, I don't personally put a lot of value in them.

          Cheers!

          Todd Zaki Warfel
          President, Design Researcher
          Messagefirst | Designing Information. Beautifully.
          ----------------------------------
          Contact Info
          Voice: (215) 825-7423
          Email: todd@...
          Twitter: zakiwarfel
          ----------------------------------
          In practice, they are not.

        • Larry Constantine
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 7, 2008

            Nick,

            You said:

            We use focus groups
            quite a bit for different types of research, often concepts. It's not
            the right thing for detailed usability, but to get a reaction from a
            group about the type of features they want and to stimulate some
            discussion I think it's quite useful. Are you saying that focus groups
            are no good for any type of research, or just some?

            Years of horror stories from clients have convinced me that even for investigating concepts and what features users/customers want, focus groups are dangerously misleading. First, people do not know what they want; second, what they say is often loosely related if at all with what they want; third, what they want is only weakly correlated with what they need; and fourth, group and social effects dominate over directness in focus groups, even when led by relatively good facilitators. In the end, you really have no idea what the relationship between stated or summarized “findings” and genuine needs and interests. I have literally seen companies invest millions in product and Web development based on and validated by focus groups, only to discover that they had built the wrong system the wrong way.

            --Larry Constantine, IDSA, ACM Fellow

              Director, Laboratory for Usage-centered Software Engineering | www.labuse.org

              University of Madeira | Funchal , Portugal

              Chief Scientist, Constantine & Lockwood Ltd

          • Tillier, Ivor - Oxford
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 8, 2008

              Hi all,

              Its like the example I read recently on another list  about the question asked to a fast-food chain’s customers, ‘Would you buy a healthier version of our burgers?’.  In the example, many people said ‘yes’ but this didn’t result in increased sales when one was produced because although people felt they should say yes, in reality they wanted the good old high fat version.  These kind of factors can of course be compounded in group situations.

              I can see some benefit of group situations though, in that discussion might encourage users to think about, and explore, issues beyond what they thought were important (OK, a researcher can encourage this in a one–to-one, but it is only after talking to a few people will they have a wide enough range of feedback to enable them to steer the user to different areas that the user might not have considered so far - but have been raised by other users).

              Ivor

              Ivor Tillier

              Senior Web Producer

              01865 476596 itillier@...

              Please do not print this e-mail

[...]

              AIM:        twarf! el@...

              Blog:        http://toddwarfel.com

              Twitter:    zakiwarfel

              ----------------------------------

              In practice, they are not.

              This email (and any attachment) is confidential, may be legally privileged and is intended solely for the
              use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient please do
              not disclose, copy or take any action in reliance on it. If you have received this message in error please
              tell us by reply and delete all copies on your system.

              Although this email has been scanned for viruses you should rely on your own virus check as the sender
              accepts no liability for any damage arising out of any bug or virus infection. Please note that email
              traffic data may be monitored and that emails may be viewed for security reasons.

              Blackwell Publishing Limited is a private limited company registered in England with registered number 180277.

              Registered office address: The Atrium, Southern Gate, Chichester, West Sussex, PO19 8SQ.

              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 8, 2008
                Larry Constantine wrote:

                Years of horror stories from clients have convinced me that even for investigating concepts and what features users/customers want, focus groups are dangerously misleading. First, people do not know what they want; second, what they say is often loosely related if at all with what they want; third, what they want is only weakly correlated with what they need; and fourth, group and social effects dominate over directness in focus groups, even when led by relatively good facilitators. In the end, you really have no idea what the relationship between stated or summarized “findings” and genuine needs and interests. I have literally seen companies invest millions in product and Web development based on and validated by focus groups, only to discover that they had built the wrong system the wrong way.

                Although I am also very suspicious of focus groups, I have seen people get value out of something weirdly similar: parties and get-togethers.

                Here in the land of startups, it's pretty common for people to have launch parties, in-office happy hours, and casual get-togethers with staff, users, and other stakeholders. There is naturally a lot of conversation around topics similar to what one might try to use a focus group to address. People seem to get a lot of value out of that conversation, walking away with ideas, background information, and a better appreciation for the lives of users.

                Perhaps the key difference is in the informality. Nobody would think of writing up "findings" for a party; people know to treat the information gained very lightly.