Re: Inside Steve's Brain

  • Arlen Bankston
    Message 1 of 140 , Jun 10, 2008
      One other way to view Agile methods is that they continuously deliver
      "value." While this certainly consists primarily of software, Agile
      approaches have, at this point, been used outside of pure software
      development with a degree of success; from packaged software
      implementations (kissing cousin) to pure business projects (no
      programmers at all).

      "Value" can be:
      - Software that delivers on a portion of our business case
      - Information critical to realizing our business case (prototypes,
      spikes, etc.)

      Agile quite often relies on the software itself to deliver the
      information noted in the second bullet, but sometimes there are
      better/faster ways to get it that don't involve programming. The
      definition of "done" may differ ("the [COTS] company profile should be
      completely configured so that new policies can be entered," or "this
      model of our phone must allow for accurate all-weather testing of
      compound A5"), but you're still focusing on following one path to the
      end before starting down twenty others. Even with concurrent
      set-based design, you're still focusing on completion with minimal

      Ron's point is clearly valid regarding Agile Software Development (as
      one of the Manifesto signatories, it's hard to argue with his
      credentials!), and it avoids the slippery slope of defining "value" in
      such a way that it conveniently begins to reflect whatever artifacts
      you were producing before. Where I've seen it done successfully, the
      non-software value is primarily delivered by other Team members (e.g.
      designers), while the developers focus on the software. This allows
      as much exploration as is necessary, so long as there is actual
      development work being steadily delivered to the team.

      --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...>
      Message 140 of 140 , Jun 25, 2008
        > But I am against research just been done at the before the project starts and then that is it, and
        > totally against design been fixed before the project starts.
        > The challenge is that the research is descriptive and not predictive, and is often used in a
        > prescriptive manner. I have been involved in some projects where there has been the assumption that
        > the consumers behaviour remains fixed.

        I agree totally. Ethnographic user research should aim at understanding the user THROUGH understanding how they work today. The aim is not to just replicate the way they work today.

        Here's an example taken from my contextual inquiries with translators.

        We noticed that NOT ONE OF THEM used collaboratively built linguistic resources like ProZ, Wiktionary and OmegaWiki. That's not necessarily to say that collaboratively built resources would not be useful to them and that you should not build them. It may be that collaboratively built resources have just not made it into their world right now.

        However, the CI observation gives us many useful information about how a collaborative resource should be built to serve the needs of translators. For example, we noticed that translators at least pay a lot of lip service to "trustworthy sources". So you know that with a collaborative resource where pretty much anybody can write content, you are up against a perception of lack of trustworthiness. At the same time, we noticed that when translators can't find a solution in trusted resources (ex: the terminology database of the Gov of Canada), they have no qualms about looking in less trustworthy resources, for example by doing a search on the internet. So, it could be that translators will be willing to use collaborative resources if they have more coverage than "trusted" ones. As the translators use the resource more and more, they will notice that they quality is high, and may get over the lack of trust barrier.

        But all of that is of course hypothetical. They are hints that help you narrow down the search space. But a case like this, those hints are particularly important, because a wiki cannot be tested with individuals. It can only be realistically tested with a large community. It's like the WWW. You couldn't test the concept of the WWW without having a network of millions of interlinked pages already (although you could test the concept of a web browser on individuals). So, the only way to realistically test a wiki is to deploy it and see what happens. So the turnaround time for validating your decisions is longer. Hence the importance of having good a-priori data to guide your initial choices. Of course if you deploy something and it doesn't work, you should listen to what the community is telling you through their actual use of the real thing.

        > There is research that uses sweeping statements like from Broadbent and Cara's NEW ARCHITECTURES OF
        > INFORMATION Paris 2002.
        > "During the past four years, we have carried out hundreds of observations of people using the Web."

        > which leads them to a conclusion that
        > Most light users have very stereotypical behaviours: after six months of usage of the Internet they
        > stop even trying to do searches through a search engine and consult systematically the same six or
        > seven sites.
        > Broadbent and Cara's observations tell us about the time before google.

        I agree that behaviour which is specifically tied to technology can change rapidly, hence the need to conduct this type of research continuously.

        However, CI will also yield information that is pretty much independent of technology. For example, we have noticed that translators do not blindly trust ANY sources (even official ones like Gov of Canada terminology database), and will systematically consult at least two different resources to resolve any given translation difficulty. The only exception to that is when the translator hast the proper translation at the tip of his tongue, and uses lookup in a single resources to remember it. I'm being told that this behaviour was there already when translators used paper dictionaries only.

        > My argument is that any new product changes the user behaviour, and therefore you need to get the new
        > product in front of the user as soon as possible, so that you can feed back the users behaviour back
        > into the next iteration.

        Yes, you should do that.

        > Research needs to be carried out before so that you can set up the goals of the project, and the
        > stories. It needs to be done during development so that you can feed back the user behaviour back
        > into the product,  and then after to find out when you need to make the next version.

        Alain Désilets