Distributing Persona Work to Developers

  • Leina
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2008
      Our outputs for our persona/segmentation work are usually in A1 poster
      format.

      In the age of hot-desking where developers have no place to position
      anything such as a posters (even if it is done in minature form) there
      is a need to create less physical forms of distributing the persona
      work. Providing PowerPoint slides is not seen as highly desirable
      however, creating an animated persona screen saver may be seen as a
      possible solution. But we need to make it highly attractive for
      developers to be proud to have it as their screen saver.

      Do others have any other suggestions?
      Many Thanks
      Lee
    • Jeff White
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 4, 2008
        Most of the teams I have worked with in the past have had various documents hanging around their Scrum/sprint board. Primary team goal statements, team values, sprint goals, etc. You could have smaller one page versions of one or more personas and hang them there if your teams have such a setup.

        The idea of a persona screensaver seems cool for sure, but it's only there when the worker is away, although it would be visible to anyone else around which would definitely be beneficial. Just doesn't seem like the best place for primary access to personas.

        What really has worked for me in the past when it comes to communicating any type of research/user modeling is two things:

        1. Quick, verbal reports of research findings. Often I would invite the team to a 10-15 minute synopsis of recent research findings, followed by a team discussion. Usually a more formal version of the research would get posted on a wiki.

        2. Role sharing. The best way to get developers to really pay attention to research is to put them in a position where they really *need* it to make decisions. Collaborative design sessions, where participants bring in sketches that solve a design problem to be critiqued by the entire team have worked wonders in communicating research findings - each participant is has a huge incentive to leverage the research in order to make design decisions. This approach has a lot of other benefits as well.

        Hope this helps,

        Jeff

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 4, 2008
          Leina wrote:
          > In the age of hot-desking where developers have no place to position
          > anything such as a posters [...]

          One team I coached dealt with this by having a number of portable or
          mobile whiteboards. Wherever the team went, so did the team environment.

          William
        • Baker, Lisa
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 6, 2008
            Our persona posters are in conference rooms, the lunch room cupboards,
            on the way to the bathroom, the executive conference room, the cube
            walls that create the bull pen, the hallway walls... they're in
            marketing...

            We're a retail company so we have a 'family' of personas. When out on
            trips I typically email back a quick briefing of the trip and try to tie
            in a persona name of the type of person (or people) we talked to... then
            we use the persona name in use cases, etc.

            The personas are actually more popular in marketing and exec staff, I
            think. Each time we get a new design firm I think we reintroduce them.

            I have a presentation introducing all of them... I give it regularly to
            groups of new developers or visitors from our other geos. (I think I'm
            doing it again next week...)

            What about baseball-card sized persona's? 'Collect and trade them all.'

            Lisa Baker

            Human Factors Lead
            LANDesk, an Avocent(r) Company
            Lisa.baker@...
            801.208.1315

            "Simplifying our customers' work"

            2a. Re: Distributing Persona Work to Developers
            Posted by: "Jeff White" jwhite31@... jawsadieemail
            Date: Wed Jun 4, 2008 9:09 am ((PDT))

            Most of the teams I have worked with in the past have had various
            documents
            hanging around their Scrum/sprint board. Primary team goal statements,
            team
            values, sprint goals, etc. You could have smaller one page versions of
            one
            or more personas and hang them there if your teams have such a setup.

            The idea of a persona screensaver seems cool for sure, but it's only
            there
            when the worker is away, although it would be visible to anyone else
            around
            which would definitely be beneficial. Just doesn't seem like the best
            place
            for primary access to personas.

            What really has worked for me in the past when it comes to communicating
            any
            type of research/user modeling is two things:

            1. Quick, verbal reports of research findings. Often I would invite the
            team
            to a 10-15 minute synopsis of recent research findings, followed by a
            team
            discussion. Usually a more formal version of the research would get
            posted
            on a wiki.

            2. Role sharing. The best way to get developers to really pay attention
            research is to put them in a position where they really *need* it to
            make
            decisions. Collaborative design sessions, where participants bring in
            sketches that solve a design problem to be critiqued by the entire team
            have
            worked wonders in communicating research findings - each participant is
            has
            a huge incentive to leverage the research in order to make design
            decisions.
            This approach has a lot of other benefits as well.

            Hope this helps,

            Jeff

            On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 1:35 PM, Leina <leina_elgohari@...> wrote:

            > Our outputs for our persona/segmentation work are usually in A1
            poster
            > format.
            >
            > In the age of hot-desking where developers have no place to position
            > anything such as a posters (even if it is done in minature form) there
            > is a need to create less physical forms of distributing the persona
            > work. Providing PowerPoint slides is not seen as highly desirable
            > however, creating an animated persona screen saver may be seen as a
            > possible solution. But we need to make it highly attractive for
            > developers to be proud to have it as their screen saver.
            >
            > Do others have any other suggestions?
            > Many Thanks
            > Lee

            Messages in this topic (3)
            2b. Re: Distributing Persona Work to Developers
            Posted by: "William Pietri" william@... william_pietri
            Date: Wed Jun 4, 2008 9:12 am ((PDT))

            Leina wrote:
            > In the age of hot-desking where developers have no place to position
            > anything such as a posters [...]

            One team I coached dealt with this by having a number of portable or
            mobile whiteboards. Wherever the team went, so did the team environment.

            William
          • lanehalley
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 9, 2008
              I agree that this is a really useful technique for helping your
              personas stay relevant and alive. The more you help people identify
              behavior patterns in the real world and tie them back to your persona
              set, the more likely they will remember the personas and use them as a
              design tool.

              -lane

              --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Baker, Lisa" <lisa.baker@...>

              <clip>...