Re: [agile-usability] Re: The Role of Vision

  • carl myhill
    Message 1 of 83 , Jun 2, 2008
      I'm a bit new to Agile but don't really see the problem with this
      vision thing. I use the Cooper Goal-Directed Design Method.

      We interview users to learn their goals and understand their tasks and
      we do that up front, perhaps as a sprint rather than anything
      iterative.

      We produce personas, from the interview data, and goals. And we
      produce high level context scenarios, which start making basic
      references to concepts that will exist in the design.

      From the context scenarios we can almost underline the parts which
      indicate user needs.

      Then we take out a whiteboard pen and write a storyboard wireframe
      (which Cooper used to call the Design Vision and now call in
      Interaction Framework). We elaborate a bit on the design hinted at in
      the context scenario and produce a key path scenario, which describes
      in more detail how the user will interact with the design. This whole
      exercise lets us outline the anatomy of the design and to understand
      how to play it.

      When we are happy with that Design Vision, we can jump into iterations
      and do a bit of 'just in time' detailed design.

      The Vision, is the Design Vision. It is justified through
      understanding the users typical day and their typical needs. It
      probably won't change much since it is quite high level.

      I'm not sure where the problem is with a vision like this. perhaps,
      the only drawback is that you have to do a bit of work in front of the
      iterative cycles to get a good understanding of the users and what
      they do to enable you to get this vision pinned down.

      i'd be interested in comments on this.

      Carl
    • carl myhill