Re: [agile-usability] medical analogy -- a back to business sample

  • Thomas Eyde
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 28, 2004
      Yesterday, I sat in a meeting trying to figure out how to present
      certain things to the end user. A representative from Customer Support
      joined us. This is an example on how a user (representative) describes a
      symptom by proposing an alternative solution. This is a bit different
      from the medical analogy, as users often propose solutions, while
      patients seldom propose treatments.

      One problem was how the list of the user's agreemements. An agreement is
      identified by its number, which can have 11, 8 or 4+2 digits. Our
      Customer Support representative wanted to show the 4+2 agreements as one
      number with 4 digits followed by a dropdown list containing the last 2
      digits.

      We really didn't understand which problem that would solve, as it would
      be no easier for the user to find a certain agreement. A dropdown is
      good at showing a lot of information and conserve space, but it is a
      navigation nightmare. It turns out that certain users can have a lot of
      the 4+2 variety, but at the same time, those agreements have low value.

      The real problem was our list being poluted by a lot of uninteresting
      agreements.
      The proposed solution was to show the 4 digits once in the list and
      introduce a show/hide button to display all variations for that number.

      Thomas