Re: [agile-usability] Re: Syncing developers and designers

  • Gerard Meszaros
    Message 1 of 4 , May 26 3:34 PM
      We've done something similar on several projects. The projects basically broke down into two categories which I'll describe separately.

      Category A is the "Embedded Designer/BA":
      We used this when we didn't have specialized UI Design people involved. The BA (business analyst) worked with the on site business people to come up with some paper prototypes or Visio mock ups of the screens to give everyone a common understanding of what the application was about. The business people then did "wizard of oz" testing of the paper prototypes with real users. We did this on two projects back to back with the same business users. The first was a .net project and the second was an SAP ABAP project! The business people found it so valuable on the first project (see http://agileusabilitypaper.gerardmeszaros.com/) that they did it without any prompting on the second project. The end users of both projects extolled the virtues of the applications to each other and anyone who would listen. Note that the SAP application ended up looking somewhat different from the paper prototype because of the details of SAP's UI widgets but didn't detract from the value we got out of the paper prototype.

      Category B is the "Separate Design Team":
      We used this on two different agile projects where an outside design consultancy was engaged to do the graphical design of the application. Initially we had a lot of trouble because the designs arrived too late and were difficult to implement. Over time we were able to move to a model that was very similar to what you are describing. The key practice was having agreement on what would be built over the next few iterations and focusing the UI designers on those parts. It really confused the users/testers when they were shown UI designs for functionality that wouldn't be built for months. This required doing "high level iteration planning" one or two iterations ahead. (But we've also found we needed to do that on some projects for consensus building amongst multiple stakeholders.)

      We also tried to keep the visual design and the software somewhat independent by using CSS although this was easier said than done. But if enough agreement was reached on the page structure then the CSS could be evolved relatively independently.

      Best wishes for your projects!

      Gerard
      --
      Gerard Meszaros

      Lean/Agile/Usability Coach
      Author of the Jolt Productivity Award winning book "xUnit Test Patterns - Refactoring Test Code". Learn more at http://xunitpatterns.com/index.html

      gwynatdezyne wrote:

      Well, we're just starting out with it - two projects are in the
      "designer headstart" phase now.

      In conjunction with one of the designers, we're going to try doing
      design in two passes: once the overall design concept is done, the
      designers will produce enough of a toolkit to do basic pages. This is
      essentially basic CSS and layouts which will be reused throughout the
      site. That's enough to get features to "done done", since we can
      release like that if we have to.

      Later on, designers will iterate through the cooler UI stuff with us.

      Still, this is mostly theoretical, which is why I'm trawling for
      comments. It'd be nice not to have to learn it _all_ the hard way.

      Gwyn.

      --- In agile-usability@ yahoogroups. com, "aacockburn" <acockburn@. ..>