Re: [agile-usability] Re: Agile UCD Velocity Points

  • Ron Jeffries
    Message 1 of 13 , May 12, 2008
      Hello, leina. On Monday, May 12, 2008, at 5:22:46 AM, you wrote:

      > Thanks for your advice.

      > If it looks too complicated then... well I'm not going to ditch
      > it all together but need to rethink it through.

      > But I'll take on board your advice. I thought you had to come up
      > with something precise and concise but the message I'm getting is
      > provide a rough guesstimate of the figures.

      The nature of the problem, estimating velocity, and tracking it, is
      such that precision is essentially impossible.

      Imagine estimating your velocity driving across country. Estimating
      to even the nearest mile per hour over each short interval is simply
      silly. Tracking our speed over small intervals won't work because of
      traffic, weather, and other factors. Keeping track of our overall
      speed across country is interesting, but precision would be entirely
      wasted: one extra rest stop or a slow waitress at lunch will change
      the number substantially.

      We find that estimating stories in small proportional integers 1, 2,
      3, and counting the points upon completion, is sufficient for most
      purposes.

      For a sense of the level of precision that I think is appropriate
      for most projects, you might enjoy this article:

      Big Visible Charts

      It's time to revisit the topic of Big Visible Charts. Display
      important project information not in some formal way, not on the
      web, not in PowerPoint, but in charts on the wall that no one can
      miss. [Updated: Velocity Charts]

      http://www.xprogramming.com/xpmag/BigVisibleCharts.htm

      Regards,

      Ron Jeffries
      www.XProgramming.com
      There's a difference between righteous anger and just being crabby.
      --Barbara Richmond