Re: sketchboards vs storyboards vs cartooning

  • Markus Weber
    Message 1 of 3 , May 7, 2008
      --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "imaginethepoet"
      <imaginethepoet@...> wrote:

      > Of course, in some enviornments you have to be careful because
      > what goes up on the wall becomes part of an "unspoken" requirement.
      >
      > The design may be flawed but "we" the business users saw it on the wall
      > so it must be un-changing. Of course, this could be overcome by simply
      > putting a big red disclaimer "Designs expected to change, will change,
      > are going to change..."

      I agree that this danger exists. The effect may be reduced, though,
      because iterating and designing alternatives is an integral part of
      "sketchboarding" and this may prevent stakeholders from getting stuck
      on one single solution too early.

      As Brandon describes in his posting at Adaptive Path, the effect may
      be more severe with early wireframes, especially for designers, whose
      creativity can be constrained too early so that they miss the big picture.

      > I think a combination of sketch, story, and cartoons (where we
      > required) should be used. Whatever it takes to convey your idea to the
      > client / business owner is what should be used!

      And whatever it takes to clarify the fact that ideas may be subject to
      change ;-)