Re: [agile-usability] Agile for Agencies (marketing websites)

  • Four Hewes, Caspian Design
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 11, 2008
      Guillermo,

      Do you mean skip a website design phase, a project phase....? Please
      elaborate a bit.

      Four

      At 4:44 PM -0700 4/10/08, Guillermo Torres wrote:
      Well, most of the times we need to skip a phase, to meet client
      expectations or certain project circumstances.
      Four Hewes, Principal
      Caspian Design | A Hybrid Consultancy for changing marketplace,
      technology and business
      Strategic Guidance | New Product Development | Design Services
    • Guillermo Torres
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 14, 2008
        Actually, the biggest frustration comes because we end up having to skip phases when we follow the waterfall model. Due to client demands, usually the interaction design phase is skipped, going straight to visual design, and making final comps. Which is hard to do it right so there end up being a lot of revisions to get it right. And once we get initial approval from the client, the interaction designer is called in to "fix" the comps. The development of phase of the project then gets pushed further down, because of the many iterations.

        So, since we end up having to do so many unplanned iterations I figured that a planned iterative process might ease some of the frustation. And that's why I started to look into Agile Software Development. But Agile seems to be devised for lengthy software development projects, as opposed to short web development processes, particularly when the focus of the project is visual design, not development.

        I was hoping that someone had tried applying some of the iterative concepts to these type of processes. I was thinking of a process where there are 2 or 3 sprints, of a couple of weeks in duration, the output of these sprints would be a working prototype. after the final prototype is done, the programming team would unfold the rest of the application and submit it for QA. The team could be formed by a visual designer, and interaction designer, 2 developers, a project manager and a copywriter.

        peas,