Agile for Agencies (marketing websites)

  • Guillermo Torres
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 4, 2008
      Hi,

      I am new to Agile/XP/Scrum, doing some research to see if it makes sense to apply this process where I work. I am an interaction designer at an interactive marketing agency.  We create mostly online experiences and RIAs (flash web sites). These projects usually run for about 3 months at the most.

      Ideally we would follow a waterfall model (strategy>interaction design>visual design>development>QA) but it is very often when our client demands to see final comps right away, they usually don't understand strategy or interaction design deliverables. So we have to develop prototypes right away, then ID has to come in and "fix" what was built.

      So I was wonder if anyone here has tried to adapt the Agile model for this type of product.

      if you haven't I would still love it if your opinion on certain resources on methodologies we could follow, and see if Agile or Scrum are processes that I build a case for and sell it withing the agency.

      thanks,

      Guillermo

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 7, 2008
        > Ideally we would follow a waterfall model (strategy>interaction design>visual design>development>QA)

        Why do you say "Ideally"?

        Alain Désilets
      • Four Hewes, Caspian Design
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 7, 2008
          Guillermo,

          Here's some initial feedback to your questions - which I hope helps
          frame your understanding of Agile as you explore adopting it in your
          agency.

          The Agile way is one of ongoing transformation of products, oneself
          and the business. The Agile way supercedes the concept of "business
          as usual" with the concept of "business as necessary for sustained
          acheivement of [healthy, humane business] goals."

          Ultimately the Agile/XP/Scrum approach to developing software would
          change your organization, its roles, performance measures, how it
          determines value, staff relationships, perhaps even the meaning of
          "managing" and the compensation structure. Certainly the role of IxD
          would be changed, perhaps even replaced (depending on how your agency
          responds to Agile's demands).

          While one can "adapt the Agile model" and "bolt on" to existing
          methods, structures and culture specific agile practices, that would
          not yield much sustained potential value, nor harness its fundamental
          potential.

          I find these questions help people grasp Agile's purpose and power as
          they begin to investigate its application in their circumstances:
          How deeply would my organization (whether the team, project, business
          unit, enterprise or leadership) and each person in the organization
          be willing to change their definitions of our work and our goals?
          How willing are we (jointly and individually) to approach our
          business goals if we know we will achieve the results we need and yet
          _can't_ know before we start (nor before we're done) our final
          product, our specific contributions or the subsequent path our
          business will need to take?

          Yours,

          Four Hewes

          At 1:59 PM -0700 4/4/08, Guillermo Torres wrote: [Edited for brevity
          & compactness]
          Hi, I am new to Agile/XP/Scrum, doing some research to see if it
          makes sense to apply this process where I work. I am an interaction
          designer at an interactive marketing agency. ...Ideally we would
          follow a waterfall model...So I was wonder if anyone here has tried
          to adapt the Agile model for this type of product... [to] see if
          Agile or Scrum are processes that I build a case for and sell it
          withing the agency. thanks, Guillermo
          Four Hewes, Principal
          Caspian Design | A Hybrid Consultancy for changing marketplace,
          technology and business
          Strategic Guidance | New Product Development | Design Services
          four [at] CaspianDesign ]period[ com
          http://www.CaspianDesign.com
        • Tom Hume
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 7, 2008
            Guillermo

            My company has a similar set-up to yours, from the sound of things. We
            find that clients like the seeing-things-early elements of iterative
            delivery, but that we frequently end up running multiple projects
            simultaneously within a team of 7 (and that getting feedback from
            multiple off-site stakeholders can derail things on occasion)... and
            we suffer the losses that context switching in this situation entails.

            Tom

            --
            Future Platforms Ltd
            e: Tom.Hume@...
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 10, 2008
              Well, most of the times we need to skip a phase, to meet client expectations or certain project circumstances.

              On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 6:39 AM, Desilets, Alain <alain.desilets@...> wrote:

              > Ideally we would follow a waterfall model (strategy>interaction design>visual design>development>QA)

              Why do you say "Ideally"?

              Alain Désilets

            • Ron Jeffries
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 11, 2008
                Hello, Guillermo. On Thursday, April 10, 2008, at 7:44:06 PM, you
                wrote:

                > Well, most of the times we need to skip a phase, to meet client expectations
                > or certain project circumstances.

                So, maybe if this is happening most of the times, we're mistaken to
                think that the "waterfall" style would be ideal?

                > On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 6:39 AM, Desilets, Alain <
                > alain.desilets@...> wrote:

                >> > Ideally we would follow a waterfall model (strategy>interaction
                >> design>visual design>development>QA)

                Ron Jeffries
                www.XProgramming.com
                It's easy to have a complicated idea.
                It's very very hard to have a simple idea.
                -- Carver Mead
              • Four Hewes, Caspian Design
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 11, 2008
                  Guillermo,

                  Do you mean skip a website design phase, a project phase....? Please
                  elaborate a bit.

                  Four

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 11, 2008
                    <alain.desilets@...> wrote:
                    >>> Ideally we would follow a waterfall model (strategy>interaction
                    design>visual design>development>QA)

                    >> Why do you say "Ideally"?
                    >
                    > Well, most of the times we need to skip a phase, to meet client
                    expectations or certain project circumstances.

                    I guess what I am trying to get at is that in the Agile world, most
                    folks do not consider Waterfall to be an ideal that one should even aim
                    at.

                    Alain
                  • Guillermo Torres
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 14, 2008
                      Actually, the biggest frustration comes because we end up having to skip phases when we follow the waterfall model. Due to client demands, usually the interaction design phase is skipped, going straight to visual design, and making final comps. Which is hard to do it right so there end up being a lot of revisions to get it right. And once we get initial approval from the client, the interaction designer is called in to "fix" the comps. The development of phase of the project then gets pushed further down, because of the many iterations.

                      So, since we end up having to do so many unplanned iterations I figured that a planned iterative process might ease some of the frustation. And that's why I started to look into Agile Software Development. But Agile seems to be devised for lengthy software development projects, as opposed to short web development processes, particularly when the focus of the project is visual design, not development.

                      I was hoping that someone had tried applying some of the iterative concepts to these type of processes. I was thinking of a process where there are 2 or 3 sprints, of a couple of weeks in duration, the output of these sprints would be a working prototype. after the final prototype is done, the programming team would unfold the rest of the application and submit it for QA. The team could be formed by a visual designer, and interaction designer, 2 developers, a project manager and a copywriter.

                      peas,