Re: [agile-usability] How UX Team fit in Scrum Methodology?

  • Elizabeth Whitworth
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 20, 2008
      Hello Dwayne,

      Thanks for your input.

      > Before the project starts, be sure to utilize or create a style guide to ensure consistency throughout the project.

      I'm curious to hear more about this style guide. Particularly - What is the scope of the style guide and how do you present/document it? And is there a good example of  a style guide that you could point us to?

      Thanks again,
       - Liz

      --
      Elizabeth Whitworth
      User experience analyst

      TRANSPOREON GmbH
      Tel:  +49 [0]731 16906-131

      On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 5:58 PM, Dwayne King <pinpointlogic@...> wrote:

      Hi Alexandre,

      We work with a lot of teams that use some form of Agile (SCRUM included). We normally request that our iteration be offset slightly, so we start a few days before the dev team starts their iteration. During that time, our user experience folks are working with the design team to develop initial, high-level documentation (mostly pictures, very little writing e.g. wireframes w/o the business rules). Once the dev team starts the iteration, we've found it imperative to be in the room with the developers. The last few days of the iteration are normally  a foot race for the dev team and they know what they're building. That's when we leave to document the next iteration (requires the team take a break from dev the day before to plan the next iteration so you know exactly what you're documenting).

      Before the project starts, be sure to utilize or create a style guide to ensure consistency throughout the project.

      Best of luck, please contact me if you have any other questions.

      best regards,
      Dwayne

      Dwayne King  |  Pinpoint Logic  |  www.pinpointlogic.com  |  503.477.9090

      On Mar 16, 2008, at 8:14 AM, alexnigri wrote:

      I work at Globo.com, a Media Conglomerate(like BBC) in Brazil, and recently was defined
      that our methodology should change to Scrum.

      We have about 25 people working at our creative area on user experience, and we are
      questioning ourselves how we should fit in this process. We'll have 13 teams in Scrum,
      and the creative team will be splitted, so we're having 1 interaction designer and 1
      information architect in each team.

      The developers think we should be allocated with the rest of the team, side by side,
      improving communications, and making them participate more in the concept phase.

      In other side, most of the creatives think we should be together, because the process
      assures that the developers will participate and the communications will flow, with a plus,
      it becomes easier to maintain design and interaction patterns, and the concept phase is
      richer, with the guys exchanging ideas.

      Also, we have some doubts about how this concept phase fit in Scrum Methodology, which
      tasks must be created, and how to secure the quality of the solutions instead of the
      pressure of delivering something.

      I would like to know your opinions, and if you face this problems at your companies.

      Thanks,

      Alexandre Nigri
      www.globo.com