Re: [agile-usability] Prototyping Tools

    Message 1 of 43 , Jan 14, 2008
      Hi Fred/Scott,

      On 10 Jan 2008, at 17:06, Fred Beecher wrote:

      > On 1/10/08, Scott Preece <sepreece@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> I believe the point is that the prototypes are done with tools
      >> that the
      >> designers can use themselves. This doesn't mean that they wouldn't
      >> talk to
      >> the developers or other stakeholders. This is to distinguish from
      >> situations
      >> where the designers need to have the developers build the
      >> prototypes for
      >> them, typically because the tools used are more programming-like than
      >> designing-like.
      >>

      > That's exactly the point. Thanks, Scott!

      I'm all for designers doing development! I hope we'll soon give
      developer-ux / ux-developer roles the same respect that tester-
      developer / developer-tester roles are getting now.

      My issue (dunno about Ron's :-) was the "all by themselves". That
      seemed to imply that the designer "owned" the prototype code (however
      it was implemented). The problem I was seeing was that the rest of
      the team seemed cut off from participating in the development process.

      It tend to see a team where any single person has control over a key
      artefact as a bit of a red flag. Better to have more folk involved so
      the knowledge spreads around.

    • Brian Weiss
      Message 43 of 43 , Jan 17, 2008
        First off, I'd just like to say I love reading all the opinions out there as I'm on an island here...

        So have we reached violent agreement yet? :D
        Considering there are myriad ways to present wireframes and flows...whatever works for you, well, works for you. So far, at this place I'm at, user studies done with Flex/Flash based prototypes that look close to a branded/finished product have worked very well. The feedback has been excellent and it seems quicker to me to get the users focused and into the scenarios. That said, and again for me, the paper wireframes have been better at getting business requirements on the table with Stakeholders and other internal partners as they get hung up on the interface of the prototypes too much. The nice thing about alternatives is you can try them all...

        We all did get a good laugh out of the Flex "paper" skin Frédéric Monjo mentioned: http://fleksray.org/skins/edding/Edding.html and actually might try it out.
        And if a Stakeholder asks "Is this what we're getting?" I've decided to say "Yes. Yes it is."

        -Brian