Re: [agile-usability] New Member Intro

    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 7, 2007
      Hi Anthony,

      On 6 Dec 2007, at 14:09, Anthony Viviano wrote:
      [snip]
      > It's coming from our business analysts mostly. A lot of our
      > projects are
      > stalled or stuck in requirements gathering phases and are slow to
      > move on to
      > development.

      What's slowing them down (again with the curiosity :-) ?

      I'm a great fan of the "Apply the practice most appropriate to the
      thing causing you the most pain. Repeat." approach to introducing agile.

      > Very frustrating for our developers and everyone really. I
      > think they're looking for a way to move development forward.
      > Management is
      > sceptical at this point, so we're hoping for a few Agile wins
      > before we push
      > to transform the entire org.
      >
      > So, short answer ... we're looking to crank out stuff faster.
      >
      > My concern is that Agile takes a lot of buy in from the top down to
      > really
      > work well....
      [snip]

      I've seen agile come in from the bottom as well as from the top.
      Although obviously if management are actively hostile you're gonna
      have trouble. Sceptical you should hopefully be able to cope with.

      I find it interesting that it's coming from the BAs. I've seen it
      come from the developers dealing with technical tasks, and I've seen
      it come in from management in search of lower costs. I've not seen it
      from folk who would turn into, if we're thinking about XP, the
      Customers.

      I would imagine that it would work well - as long as the developers
      are in to it too - since the convincing Customers is something I
      often find hard. And you have that already.

      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 7, 2007
        On 6 Dec 2007, at 16:25, George Dinwiddie wrote:

        > Anthony Viviano wrote:
        >> My concern is that Agile takes a lot of buy in from the top down to
        >> really work well....
        >
        > Not necessarily. It does take a lot of cooperation between the
        > players.
        > In many cases, getting that cooperation may depend on acceptance of
        > Agile at high levels of the organization. In other cases people feel
        > comfortable to try it within their own sphere of influence.
        [snip]

        Indeed.

        There was one LargeCompany that I did some consulting for where the
        management told me that they hadn't started looking at agile yet at
        the same time the dev team was doing something that was pretty close
        to XP :-)