Re: [agile-usability] New Member Intro

    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 6, 2007
      Faith Peterson wrote:

      > There are Agile proponents who would argue that there's no room for
      > BAs in Agile - that they should either come into development and
      > become specializing generalists on the technical side, or that they
      > should move to the product side. There's a lot to that but it's often
      > a very threatening message for BAs. It's also not really feasible in
      > every situation.

      Could you say more about why business analysts see that as threatening?

      One common fear I've seen is that when people don't see an explicit role
      that matches their business card title, they get worried that they're
      going to be let go. Is that the threat that they perceive?

      In every agile transition I've done or seen, those people still have
      plenty to do, and it's generally more interesting stuff. Although most
      agilists I know don't value a lot of formality around roles and titles,
      they really value the people who have filled those roles, and all the
      knowledge and skill they've built up. So I get the fear, but I think
      it's worth working past.

      William Pietri - william@... - +1-415-643-1024
      Agile consulting, coaching, and development: http://www.scissor.com/
      Instant video gratification: http://www.sidereel.com/
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 7, 2007
        Hi Anthony,

        On 6 Dec 2007, at 14:09, Anthony Viviano wrote:
        [snip]
        > It's coming from our business analysts mostly. A lot of our
        > projects are
        > stalled or stuck in requirements gathering phases and are slow to
        > move on to
        > development.

        What's slowing them down (again with the curiosity :-) ?

        I'm a great fan of the "Apply the practice most appropriate to the
        thing causing you the most pain. Repeat." approach to introducing agile.

        > Very frustrating for our developers and everyone really. I
        > think they're looking for a way to move development forward.
        > Management is
        > sceptical at this point, so we're hoping for a few Agile wins
        > before we push
        > to transform the entire org.
        >
        > So, short answer ... we're looking to crank out stuff faster.
        >
        > My concern is that Agile takes a lot of buy in from the top down to
        > really
        > work well....
        [snip]

        I've seen agile come in from the bottom as well as from the top.
        Although obviously if management are actively hostile you're gonna
        have trouble. Sceptical you should hopefully be able to cope with.

        I find it interesting that it's coming from the BAs. I've seen it
        come from the developers dealing with technical tasks, and I've seen
        it come in from management in search of lower costs. I've not seen it
        from folk who would turn into, if we're thinking about XP, the
        Customers.

        I would imagine that it would work well - as long as the developers
        are in to it too - since the convincing Customers is something I
        often find hard. And you have that already.

        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 7, 2007
          On 6 Dec 2007, at 16:25, George Dinwiddie wrote:

          > Anthony Viviano wrote:
          >> My concern is that Agile takes a lot of buy in from the top down to
          >> really work well....
          >
          > Not necessarily. It does take a lot of cooperation between the
          > players.
          > In many cases, getting that cooperation may depend on acceptance of
          > Agile at high levels of the organization. In other cases people feel
          > comfortable to try it within their own sphere of influence.
          [snip]

          Indeed.

          There was one LargeCompany that I did some consulting for where the
          management told me that they hadn't started looking at agile yet at
          the same time the dev team was doing something that was pretty close
          to XP :-)