Re: [agile-usability] Re: New Member Introduction - Jim Jarrett, Usability Manager, Rockwell Automatio

    Message 1 of 176 , Oct 22, 2007
      On 21 Oct 2007, at 00:37, Ash Donaldson wrote:
      [snip]
      > 1. Creating active personas from your field research to assist in
      > keeping the user at the forefront of everyone's mind (especially
      > effective with user stories), and drive better informed design
      > decisions; and

      That works well for me too. Have them pinned up in the team room so
      folk don't forget about them.

      ... and if you're in an XP shop phrase stories in terms of persona
      rather than roles.

      > 2. Involving staff in paper prototyping iterations before moving to
      > coding iterations.

      Paper prototypes rock :-)

      ... and as a way to avoid pointless documentation take movies of folk
      using PPs with your nearest friendly digital camera.

      Adrian
    • Scott Preece
      Message 176 of 176 , Dec 1, 2007
        Hi,

        I think it's more about not squashing joy than about encouraging it. Most of us take a lot of pleasure in doing this software thing, and many look for jobs that let them extend that pleasure by advancing efforts that interest them in one way or another. I suspect there may be some really effective leaders who can actually build an additional sense of joy around project accomplishments in their teams, but I think that's stretching it and that much of the potential for joy of work is personal and internal. It's more about enabling and not disabling joy than about creating it.

        Organizations, managers, process designers, and everyone else involved have infinite opportunities to make life miserable, so not killing joy is clearly a good thing to encourage. I'm just not sure how to state this in the form of the Manifesto's values statements. We value Joy over what? Most of the obvious choices, like regimentation, professionalism, achievement, speed, order, are either things that organizations would stoutly deny encouraging (like regimentation) or are things aren't inherently anti-joy (like professionalism). Does any organization consciously promote misery in its staff?

        Maybe it's best to assume that valuing joy is part of valuing people?

        regards,
        scott