RE: [agile-usability] Number of Password Fields to use

  • Jade Ohlhauser
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 28, 2007

      My 2 cents: One field.

      Here’s the possibilities with the two field system:

      1.       Password is correct

      2.       Password is incorrect – User is typing correctly but is thinking of the wrong password or does not know the password and is guessing (fields match but are wrong)

      3.       Password is incorrect – User makes a repeatable error due to a problem like caps lock being on (fields match but are wrong)

      4.       Password is incorrect – user knows password but makes a random typing error (fields don’t match)

      You are adding the extra input step for everyone, but only offering the benefit in case 4. And here’s the kicker, you are doubling the chances of a case 4. If the fields are different you don’t know which one, only that they are different and maybe the error was added in the second one. If they don’t match I have to re-enter both again. So I’ve typed that password 4 times instead of twice (assuming it was a random typing problem that was fixed after the first negative feedback)

      But here’s the biggest reason, who gets that benefit? Is it the user or the system. Are you making the user do more work so the system can sometimes do less?

      Assumptions: the password fields obscure the values being entered and the credentials check is effectively instant.

      Jade Ohlhauser
      Product Manager

      RPM Software
      www.rpmsoftware.com 403-475-9485

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2007
        For creating the password or entering the password to validate?

        For creating the password in the first place, two fields are helpful so
        the user doesn't fat-finger their intended password and lock them self
        out of the system.

        For authenticating, I agree with Jade. One field is sufficient.

        Lisa Baker
        Human Factors Lead
        LANDesk, an Avocent(r) Company
        Lisa.baker@...
        801.208.1315

        "Simplifying our customers' work"

        1a. Re: Number of Password Fields to use
        From: Jade Ohlhauser

        Message

        1a. Re: Number of Password Fields to use
        Posted by: "Jade Ohlhauser" jade@... jadeohlhauser
        Date: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:18 am ((PDT))

        My 2 cents: One field.

[...]

        <outbind://8-000000006D3A19DA0F06154598B3B2CFA0802F620700779AD3D0551A914
        1AFC9645FA3DED8680000000098A90000CB1E603596BAEE4D856D53AC40EBE439000001B
        4E5C70000/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.rpmsoftware.com/>
        403-475-9485

        Alexander Horstmann
        Senior User Interface Engineer
        Tideway Systems Ltd.
        T: +44 (0)207 368 7326
        F: +44 (0)207 352 4922
        "What we've got here is failure to communicate."

        international-usability@yahoogroups.com
        <mailto:international-usability%40yahoogroups.com>

        Messages in this topic (8)