RE: New member introduction [WAS Re: [agile-usability] Tailoring UX methods for agile projects - resources for beginners please]

  • White, Jeff
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 8, 2007

      Welcome Faith! If you ever get those names and sites extracted from short term memory, I’d love to see a list of what you’ve turned up.

      Also – what’s the drama over the scrum master training? There are a few product managers at my company wanting to get certified.

      Jeff

      Jeff White

      Knoxville, TN

      http://www.linkedin.com/in/jwhite31

      My apologies then to Jeff Patton. I've recently joined the list, and have been on a tear absorbing all I can find on design and Agile, so I have lots of names and sites still jumbled up in short-term memory. I've been an interaction and functional designer for several years and now manage a small team. I'm now working in an Agile-oriented company. I recently completed Certified ScrumMaster training (yes, I know there's a small controversy about that but it helped synthesize all that I'd been reading), and took my team to a training on using use cases as Agile analysis tools.

      I'm looking forward to learning more from all of you.

      Faith

      Faith – I think Jeff Patton is actually the moderator of this list.

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 8, 2007
        --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "White, Jeff" <jeff.white@...>
        wrote:
        > Also - what's the drama over the scrum master training? There are a few
        > product managers at my company wanting to get certified.

        It's a two day course that many in the Agile community don't feel
        deserves the prefix "certified." It'll give your people a quick dip
        in Scrum - and a good perspective on the value system that motivates
        it. If you're unfamiliar with Agile development or Scrum to start
        with, you have a lot more to learn to become proficient in it. I say
        this as a certified scrum master myself.

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 9, 2007
          On 8 Aug 2007, at 15:12, Faith Peterson wrote:
          [snip]
          > I'm looking forward to learning more from all of you.

          Welcome - and ditto (it's not a one way street y'know :-)

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 9, 2007
            On 9 Aug 2007, at 05:41, Jeff Patton wrote:

            > --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "White, Jeff" <jeff.white@...>
            > wrote:
            >> Also - what's the drama over the scrum master training? There are
            >> a few
            >> product managers at my company wanting to get certified.
            >
            > It's a two day course that many in the Agile community don't feel
            > deserves the prefix "certified." It'll give your people a quick dip
            > in Scrum - and a good perspective on the value system that motivates
            > it. If you're unfamiliar with Agile development or Scrum to start
            > with, you have a lot more to learn to become proficient in it. I say
            > this as a certified scrum master myself.

            That's not to say that they're not good courses. Most folk I know who
            have been on one say they were most useful.

            They're just the start of the journey - not the end.

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 10, 2007

              > That's not to say that they're not good courses. Most folk I know who  have been on one say they were most useful.

              They're just the start of the journey - not the end. <

              I agree.  I’m trying to go through the rigor to get certified to teach them right now.  They’re a good start.  Possible CSM should be change to CSB – certified scrum beginner.  ;-)

            • Faith Peterson
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 10, 2007
                Oh, is that really so much better than "Scrum Alliance-authorized training for people who want to facilitate Scrum projects"?

                On 8/10/07, Jeff Patton <jpatton@...> wrote:

                > That's not to say that they're not good courses. Most folk I know who  have been on one say they were most useful.

                They're just the start of the journey - not the end. <

                I agree.  I'm trying to go through the rigor to get certified to teach them right now.  They're a good start.  Possible CSM should be change to CSB – certified scrum beginner.  ;-)

                Faith Peterson
                f.a.peterson@...
                Schaumburg, IL
                http://www.linkedin.com/in/fpeterson