Re: [agile-usability] Tailoring UX methods for agile projects - resources for beginners please

  • Faith Peterson
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 8, 2007
      Richard,

      If you haven't yet visited Jeff Patton's site at agileproductdesign.com, I strongly recommend it as a good first stop. His presentations there very clearly articulate the value of user experience professionals to Agile projects, and he provides a framework for thinking and talking about this. His span plan and his necessity-flexibility-safety-comfort planning hierarchy have been well-received by the developers and project managerrs I work with. Until then we had been having a hard time figuring out how to value and incorporate design while maintaining an Agile approach.

      I'm new to this list but I think I've seen Jeff on it - if you're listening, Jeff, thank you for posting those resources!

      Faith
      --
      Faith Peterson
      f.a.peterson@...

    • White, Jeff
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 8, 2007

        Faith – I think Jeff Patton is actually the moderator of this list.

        Richard, also see the links below. And let us know what else you find!

        http://www.agilemodeling.com/essays/agileUsability.htm

        http://www.agilelogic.com/files/ExperiencesIntegratingUEDPractices.pdf

        http://upassoc.org/upa_publications/jus/2007may/agile-ucd.html

        Jeff

        Jeff White

        Knoxville, TN

        http://www.linkedin.com/in/jwhite31

        f.a.peterson@ gmail.com

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 8, 2007
          --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Faith Peterson"
          <f.a.peterson@...> wrote:

          > Richard,
          >
          > If you haven't yet visited Jeff Patton's site at
          agileproductdesign.com, I
          > strongly recommend it

          <blush>

          Thank you Faith for the kind words.

          I've been slower than I'd like at getting ideas and techniques
          published - and I've found I've had to iterate lots to find ways to
          explain things such that they're easy to understand and put into
          practice.

          My ongoing struggles at a book can be found at:
          www.outside-in-development.com. While the work is somewhat
          incomplete, and much of what's there is a few iterations shy of
          "done", you might find some of the collaboration techniques explained
          there useful. Also, I try to give a "non-denominational" perspective
          of agile development - although I can't guarantee it's completely free
          of religion.

          Thanks again,

          -Jeff
        • Miriam Walker
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 9, 2007
            This podcast is a few years old but very easy to digest and interesting company on the bus:
            http://agiletoolkit.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=15584
            User Centerd Design Round Table with Lynn Miller, Jeff Patton and Rebecca Wirfs-Brock

            Miriam

            On 8/7/07, Richard Collins-Bye <r.collinsbye@...> wrote:

            Hi

            I've been following discussions on this list with interest in the
            belief that agile software development methods are the way forward. I
            regularly provide tactical ergonomics/usability support to enterprise
            projects using traditional software development processes (can I say
            waterfall here?) and am comfortable with applying UX methods in this
            context.

            I now find that I have the opportunity to provide tactical ergonomics/
            usability support to an agile team for the first time. I have a basic
            understanding of how my approach must scale to fit but would be
            extremely grateful if you could direct me to any introductory
            resources on the web or in recommended texts.

            Cheers
            Richard

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 9, 2007
              On 7 Aug 2007, at 23:17, Richard Collins-Bye wrote:
              [snip]
              > I now find that I have the opportunity to provide tactical ergonomics/
              > usability support to an agile team for the first time. I have a basic
              > understanding of how my approach must scale to fit but would be
              > extremely grateful if you could direct me to any introductory
              > resources on the web or in recommended texts.
              [snip]

              I'll second the recommendation of Jeff's blog & web site - great stuff.

              You might also find some of the stuff under <http://del.icio.us/tag/
              agile+ux> of interest.