Re: Asking for suggestions for UI "cleanup" project name - Longish

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 20, 2007
      --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "eklay" <eklay@...> wrote:
      > Core Post:
      > We finally have the resources and backing to do a UI clean-up
      > project and train our team on good UI practices. Our constraint is
      > that due to the culture in India, the perception is that the UI is
      > fine as it is.

      Esther,

      This all sounds pretty good. Delivery and use is the necessary moment
      of truth when you really learn how well you did.

      In an Agile context I often rant that business value doesn't come from
      just delivering software, but from using the software. And in your
      case selling the software. From your customer's perspective using the
      software.

      Fixing inconsistencies in the UI improves your brand image - your
      company's perceived quality in the eyes of your customers. Some UI
      inconsistencies hurt usability or make it harder for users to learn
      the application. This lowers their business value, and also hurts
      your company's perception of quality. And, those additional features
      improve usability - which improves user's ability to learn,
      understand, and efficiently use the app - thus increasing the value
      they get from it.

      So, for me all this stuff isn't cleaning up - it's enhancing value.

      Yes it is cleanup - but in a way it's clean-up because we all hope we
      get it right the first time - even though we know it to be impossible
      given time constraints and the fact that we're human. So, cleanup is
      sort of a "glass half empty" phrasing. It implies you made mistakes -
      which you did - but you knew you would... so are they really?

      Is somewhere in that rant a few clues to a more "glass half full"
      project name - along with a justification for why you're doing it.
      It's not because it bugs the UI people.

      I'd also look into measuring success. Try doing a survey of customer
      satisfaction before the new release, and after. Show satisfaction
      improvement. Try measuring task completion times on critical tasks
      before the changes and after. Show improvement there. All that takes
      a while - and in practice I seldom do stuff like that - but I /wished/
      I did. ;-)

      thanks for posting.