Re: Remote versus collocated teams.

  • kswaters1
    Message 1 of 146 , Jul 11 10:35 AM
      Here here Ron! Remote teamwork may be possible but it certainly
      isn't ideal. Close collaboration without co-location is a
      compromise, sometimes an essential one, but not one you'd advocate
      as part of any methodology.

      I sometimes like to think of this in terms of new business
      startups. How many people would start a business and think, "I
      know, let's base our development teams in multiple locations and
      have the business owners of the product we're building in a
      different place to the developers." For logistical reasons, sales
      and other field-based teams maybe, for product development I think
      not.

      Kelly Waters
      http://www.allaboutagile.com

      --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, Ron Jeffries
      <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

      > Hello, Owen. On Sunday, June 3, 2007, at 11:01:30 PM, you wrote:
      >
      > > I realise that many people aren't in my position such that they
      would
      > > want hard facts to decide. Many are going to trust the opinions
      of other
      > > people they may think have seasoned opinions, because they
      haven't got
      > > the time or the interest to decide for themselves. However, if
      John
      > > Kern's business, as a case in point, can demonstrate that the use
      > > communications tools to facilitate a remote team discussion is
      possible,
      > > then shouldn't the Agile community be a little less hard on
      remote
      > > teaming?
      >
      > Owen, even Jon said that together would be better. Why would we
      want
      > to recommend something that wasn't the best we know?
      >
      > Ron Jeffries
      > www.XProgramming.com
      > The fact that we know more today, and are more capable today,
      > is good news about today, not bad news about yesterday.

    • kswaters1
      Message 146 of 146 , Jul 11 10:35 AM