UX Boston Event Tuesday: UX Social Hour & Presentation On Design For Communities

  • Bob Goodman
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 20, 2007
      Please join us for our official Boston kick-off meeting of User
      Experience Boston from 7-9 p.m. on Tuesday, June 26th at One To One
      Interactive at their Charlestown headquarters. It will include
      great conversation, drinks and refreshments, and a special
      presentation by UX consultant and author Lynn Cherny on designing
      for online communities. Further details are below; please rsvp by
      Friday, June 22 if you would like to attend.

      And please help spread the word to other Boston area UX
      professionals, including information architects, designers, and
      usability managers, who may be interested in attending.

      UX Boston Meeting | 7-9 p.m. Tuesday, June 26th

      RVSP by Friday, June 22nd required; please send an e-mail to
      me (off-list, please!) with your name and your company information.

      WHAT?

      UX Boston Kick-Off Meeting AND presentation:
      "Design for Online Communities: Past the Hype!"
      by Lynn Cherny, PH.D. (User Experience Consultant & Author)

      WHEN?

      7 to 9 p.m. Tuesday, June 26th
      ---7 p.m.- 8 p.m.: Social Hour
      ---8 p.m. to 9 p.m.: Presentation and discussion.

      WHERE?

      One to One Interactive
      Schraft Center | Suite 209 (2nd Floor)
      529 Main Street
      Charlestown, MA 02129
      There is a free public parking lot at the Schraft Center.

      DIRECTIONS?

      http://www.otoi.com/contact/directions.html

      MORE ABOUT THE PRESENTATION:

      >From Lynn Cherny: Successful online community creation requires an
      understanding of both social and technical design challenges, as
      well as skills you may not realize you need in your organization.
      Face-to-face study of community predates the Internet by at least
      two centuries, and has been done within sociology, anthropology, and
      linguistics. I will review some academic background on what makes
      a "community," whether online or offline, and then show how these
      notions apply online in the form of useful design principles. I'll
      wrap up with some metrics for evaluation based on your choice of
      definitions, taking you beyond simple page views and number of
      members.

      Bio: Lynn Cherny's books Conversation and Community (1999) and
      Wired_Women (1996) were classic web 1.0 studies of online community
      that were used in many graduate classes. Since her research days,
      she has been a designer and manager at Excite.com, TiVo, Adobe,
      Mathworks, and Autodesk.

      MORE ABOUT UX BOSTON:

      UX Boston is a new local branch of the User Experience Network,
      (Uxnet.org.) Our goal is to foster cross- disciplinary conversations
      and create connections across UX-related disciplines. For more
      information, please visit:

      bobgoodman.net, inc.
      user experience consulting
      http://www.bobgoodman.net