Re: Remote versus collocated teams.

  • Owen Thomas
    Message 1 of 146 , Jun 3, 2007

      Hello all.

      William might correct me on his return, but I think the study he was referring to below is this one , published by IBM in 1978. I found it referred to from this 'Testgeek blog ' site after I Googled "University of Michigan War Room" on the advice of Ron Jeffries.

      The IBM study talk about the suitable office environment of a programmer at the time (3270 terminals being the hot new technology) would work best in. Heh, I was four years old then, although my development job in Sydney was on OS/390 (Natural, JCL, TSO), and I'm quite familiar with green screens. Most interaction I had with the mainframe were from emulators on PC's.

      Thank you Ron,

        Owen.

      --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, William Pietri <william@...> wrote:

      > Bruce Rennie wrote:
      > >
      > > I remember that study. I believe that figure for X was very small,
      > > like around 5, though I may be misremembering.
      > >

      > There was a great IBM study on this. I know right where the printout is,
      > but I won't be back there for a couple of weeks. If this is still a
      > mystery in mid-June, somebody ping me off-list and I'll dig it out.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > William

    • kswaters1
      Message 146 of 146 , Jul 11, 2007
        Here here Ron! Remote teamwork may be possible but it certainly
        isn't ideal. Close collaboration without co-location is a
        compromise, sometimes an essential one, but not one you'd advocate
        as part of any methodology.

        I sometimes like to think of this in terms of new business
        startups. How many people would start a business and think, "I
        know, let's base our development teams in multiple locations and
        have the business owners of the product we're building in a
        different place to the developers." For logistical reasons, sales
        and other field-based teams maybe, for product development I think
        not.

        Kelly Waters
        http://www.allaboutagile.com

        --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, Ron Jeffries
        <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

        > Hello, Owen. On Sunday, June 3, 2007, at 11:01:30 PM, you wrote:
        >
        > > I realise that many people aren't in my position such that they
        would
        > > want hard facts to decide. Many are going to trust the opinions
        of other
        > > people they may think have seasoned opinions, because they
        haven't got
        > > the time or the interest to decide for themselves. However, if
        John