Re: [agile-usability] Re: Remote versus collocated teams.

    Message 1 of 146 , Jun 3, 2007
      On 3 Jun 2007, at 14:02, Jon Kern wrote:

      > re: It might be good to have a speaker phone handy which will allow
      > members
      > to lazily connect or contribute when the conversation drifts into
      > topics
      > that might be of interest to various remote resources as would be
      > dictated by the natural flow of the conversation. A stenographer would
      > transcribe the conversation in real-time, and publish this
      > conversation,
      > or minutes thereof to, say, an IRC channel,
      [snip]

      I've done stuff like this too - and it does work well. An always on
      speaker phone is a great tool too (paired with a webcam on a separate
      screen is trez useful for pairing too)

      ( However, for me anyway, it doesn't work as well as being in the
      same room and noticing my co-worker grimacing at a bit of code, or
      being able to grab the project manager, the marketing dude and the
      customer for a quick paper prototyping session to flesh out a
      ambiguous requirement :-)

    • kswaters1
      Message 146 of 146 , Jul 11, 2007
        Here here Ron! Remote teamwork may be possible but it certainly
        isn't ideal. Close collaboration without co-location is a
        compromise, sometimes an essential one, but not one you'd advocate
        as part of any methodology.

        I sometimes like to think of this in terms of new business
        startups. How many people would start a business and think, "I
        know, let's base our development teams in multiple locations and
        have the business owners of the product we're building in a
        different place to the developers." For logistical reasons, sales
        and other field-based teams maybe, for product development I think
        not.

        Kelly Waters
        http://www.allaboutagile.com

        --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, Ron Jeffries
        <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

        > Hello, Owen. On Sunday, June 3, 2007, at 11:01:30 PM, you wrote:
        >
        > > I realise that many people aren't in my position such that they
        would
        > > want hard facts to decide. Many are going to trust the opinions
        of other
        > > people they may think have seasoned opinions, because they
        haven't got
        > > the time or the interest to decide for themselves. However, if
        John