Re: [agile-usability] Re: Remote versus collocated teams.

  • Ron Jeffries
    Message 1 of 146 , Jun 3, 2007
      Hello, Owen. On Sunday, June 3, 2007, at 7:14:48 AM, you wrote:

      > I'm so not being facetious when I ask you this question: I really want
      > to know what makes you say that? Apart from your experience, which I am
      > not disputing, do you know of any study that contrasts the quality or
      > development speed of a project between one that only used collocation,
      > versus one that is free to use geographically remote resources?

      > Does such a study exist? How do I get access to it if it does?

      Look for University of Michigan War Room for a related study.

      But you have heard actual experience from many of us. What would
      make a study better than real contact with real people who really do
      this?

      Ron Jeffries
      www.XProgramming.com
      Here is Edward Bear, coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back
      of his head. It is, as far as he knows, the only way of coming downstairs,
      but sometimes he feels that there really is another way, if only he could
      stop bumping for a moment and think of it. And then he feels that perhaps
      there isn't. -- A. A. Milne
    • kswaters1
      Message 146 of 146 , Jul 11, 2007
        Here here Ron! Remote teamwork may be possible but it certainly
        isn't ideal. Close collaboration without co-location is a
        compromise, sometimes an essential one, but not one you'd advocate
        as part of any methodology.

        I sometimes like to think of this in terms of new business
        startups. How many people would start a business and think, "I
        know, let's base our development teams in multiple locations and
        have the business owners of the product we're building in a
        different place to the developers." For logistical reasons, sales
        and other field-based teams maybe, for product development I think
        not.

        Kelly Waters
        http://www.allaboutagile.com

        --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, Ron Jeffries
        <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

        > Hello, Owen. On Sunday, June 3, 2007, at 11:01:30 PM, you wrote:
        >
        > > I realise that many people aren't in my position such that they
        would
        > > want hard facts to decide. Many are going to trust the opinions
        of other
        > > people they may think have seasoned opinions, because they
        haven't got
        > > the time or the interest to decide for themselves. However, if
        John