Re: Remote versus collocated teams.

  • Owen Thomas
    Message 1 of 146 , Jun 3, 2007
      Hello Adrian.

      I'm so not being facetious when I ask you this question: I really want
      to know what makes you say that? Apart from your experience, which I am
      not disputing, do you know of any study that contrasts the quality or
      development speed of a project between one that only used collocation,
      versus one that is free to use geographically remote resources?

      Does such a study exist? How do I get access to it if it does?

      Owen.

      --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, Adrian Howard <adrianh@...>
      wrote:

      > On 2 Jun 2007, at 08:26, Owen Thomas wrote:
      >

      > > Hello Adrian.
      > >
      > > Why would you say that?
      >
      > Because that's my experience, and every piece of research I've read
      > on the subject, tells me that a co-located team is more effective
      > than a distributed one.
      >
      > Adrian

    • kswaters1
      Message 146 of 146 , Jul 11, 2007
        Here here Ron! Remote teamwork may be possible but it certainly
        isn't ideal. Close collaboration without co-location is a
        compromise, sometimes an essential one, but not one you'd advocate
        as part of any methodology.

        I sometimes like to think of this in terms of new business
        startups. How many people would start a business and think, "I
        know, let's base our development teams in multiple locations and
        have the business owners of the product we're building in a
        different place to the developers." For logistical reasons, sales
        and other field-based teams maybe, for product development I think
        not.

        Kelly Waters
        http://www.allaboutagile.com

        --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, Ron Jeffries
        <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

        > Hello, Owen. On Sunday, June 3, 2007, at 11:01:30 PM, you wrote:
        >
        > > I realise that many people aren't in my position such that they
        would
        > > want hard facts to decide. Many are going to trust the opinions
        of other
        > > people they may think have seasoned opinions, because they
        haven't got
        > > the time or the interest to decide for themselves. However, if
        John