Re: [agile-usability] Remote versus collocated teams.

    Message 1 of 146 , May 30 10:56 PM
      Owen Thomas wrote:
      > Thank you William for your thoughts. I've addressed them below.
      >
      > You say above that your teams are virtual. When you make this
      > statement, are you saying that you manage several teams of collocated
      > individuals that reside in their own central location away from a
      > project 'hub' (excuse my ignorance in terms here), or are these
      > virtual teams indeed virtual in the sense that they are composed of
      > members who are not collocated in a central office? Where do the team
      > members commonly reside? At home? In an office?

      I don't manage anybody, but I have coached both sorts of team. When I
      say virtual, I mean with the individuals scattered hither and yon (in my
      case, out of homes or personal offices) but acting as a team via
      screenshare, Skype, wikis, and other remote collaboration tech. Plus
      regular in-person meetings.

      These teams would all be more effective if they were in the same place,
      but other factors prevent that, and they are sufficiently productive as
      it is.

      > Do you know of any employer who might offer me the chance to work from
      > where I live in Australia? I don't.

      Nope. Sorry. Having people in the same time zone is crucial for
      distributed agile teams, and all of my clients are US-based.

      > The rant that follows is general, and not meant in reply to William's
      > message above. It serves as an emotional basis to why I put up this
      > topic in the first place.
      >
      > All this stuff about non-verbal gestures and coffee dispenser
      > conversations is bunk!

      Ok. Here we disagree. I imagine others have covered this sufficiently by
      now, but I'll say that having spent a lot of time trying different
      things out with teams, I'm pretty confident of my opinion. I agree it's
      probably not the best option for you, though.

      William
    • kswaters1
      Message 146 of 146 , Jul 11, 2007
        Here here Ron! Remote teamwork may be possible but it certainly
        isn't ideal. Close collaboration without co-location is a
        compromise, sometimes an essential one, but not one you'd advocate
        as part of any methodology.

        I sometimes like to think of this in terms of new business
        startups. How many people would start a business and think, "I
        know, let's base our development teams in multiple locations and
        have the business owners of the product we're building in a
        different place to the developers." For logistical reasons, sales
        and other field-based teams maybe, for product development I think
        not.

        Kelly Waters
        http://www.allaboutagile.com

        --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, Ron Jeffries
        <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

        > Hello, Owen. On Sunday, June 3, 2007, at 11:01:30 PM, you wrote:
        >
        > > I realise that many people aren't in my position such that they
        would
        > > want hard facts to decide. Many are going to trust the opinions
        of other
        > > people they may think have seasoned opinions, because they
        haven't got
        > > the time or the interest to decide for themselves. However, if
        John