Fwd: [XP] research on teams and co-location

  • Ron Jeffries
    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2007
      Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...>, at 5/30/2007 at 10:32 AM,
      hopes that you will find this interesting:

      Originally from: jalmeter_99@... <jalmeter_99@...>
      To: extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, May 30, 2007, 9:45:19 AM
      Subject: [XP] research on teams and co-location

      Ron says:

      Apropos our discussion on co-location, this just in on the XP list.
      (Which is, by the way, probably a better venue for the whole
      discussion than this one. Not that I mind ...)

      Ron Jeffries
      www.XProgramming.com
      by definition, not smart enough to debug it. -- Brian Kernighan

      For thos interested in research supporting co-located teams, I just
      stumbled on the following quote at sciam.com
      (http://tinyurl.com/2oht7j). Unfortunately, I don't have time at the
      moment to chase down the reference.

      In an interesting twist, organizational behavior expert Kyle
      Lewis of the McCombs School of Business at the University of
      Texas at Austin found that the development of a team's ability
      to access distributed knowledge required face-to-face
      interaction. In groups that communicated exclusively by phone
      or e-mail, this skill did not emerge -- an observation of
      increasing importance, given the rise of teams that operate
      remotely and coordinate sometimes only through computer
      interactions. It should prompt concerted efforts to understand
      the reasons for such barriers and explore whether web-cams,
      videoconferencing or other technologies that allow people to
      interact will help overcome this problem. For now, the best
      solution may be to guarantee some face time for team members
      throughout their project.

      -Jason

      --
      Jason L. Almeter