Re: incremental design -vs- overall user experience

  • katharina9267
    Message 1 of 38 , May 30, 2007
      Larry,

      This is without a doubt an issue that I came across in my experience
      as a usability manager.

      Do you suggest that this work should be done in iteration 0 using the
      agile methodology? This seems to be increasingly a recommendation in
      a number of white papers and publications such as Scott Ambler.
      However, when you say 'minimal effort' how does this translate into
      time scales - is there an average that you work with in your
      experience let's say 1-2 weeks?

      I also appreciate, if you could forward the pdfs on the collaborative
      UI review method that you mentioned in a previous message.
      Many thanks,
      Katharina

      --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Constantine"
      <lconstantine@...> wrote:

      > Jeff,
      >
      > An effective way around this problem is to draft a navigation
      architecture
      > (screen flow) in advance based on provisional understanding of user
      roles
      > and tasks in the application. This architecture gives a reasonably
      well
      > thought out framework on which to hang the features and functions
      as they
      > arise "organically." The navigation architecture is itself reviewed
      and
      > refactored as needed as the details of the application emerge. This
      approach
      > is what I describe as "architecture-first development" in the new
      Cutter
      > Report on agility and usability. It's proven to be a good
      compromise that
      > yields maximal payoff in maintaining a sound UI organization with
      bare
      > minimal upfront investment.
      >
      > --Larry Constantine
      > Chief Scientist | Constantine & Lockwood, Ltd.

    • katharina9267
      Message 38 of 38 , May 30, 2007