RE: [agile-usability] Re: Concept Mapping Tool

  • George Schlitz
    Message 1 of 18 , May 19, 2007

      www.thebrain.com might be good for this

    • Dean Morrow
      Message 2 of 18 , May 21, 2007
        Anything that would have attributes that I could use to look at from
        different perspectives for classifying.

        As a really simple (bad) example, I've got a plate, coffee cup, orange
        and donut. My catergories would obviously be food and non-food. Round
        could be an attribute. Symetrical axis could be another. In fact,
        there'd be more potential attributes than I'd be willing to initially
        populate.

        But what if for some reason I wanted to group by topology. Coffee cup
        and donut belong together, since they both have holes. If I wanted to
        group by "can carry juice", then cup and orange go together.

        Problem is there's so many dimensions that things can relate. When I'm
        in a discovery mode, I'm interested in capturing some of those
        relationships, and looking later at which ones are pertinent. I don't
        want to decide on which hierarchical strutures I'll end up using until
        I've collected more data. I'm trying to discover which dimensions are
        the most usefull for organizing this particular group of items.

        Mind Manager seems to make me choose the structure up front. I can add
        relationship lines later between different elements in different
        groups, but it doesn't appear to give the option of turning the
        structure on its side and look at it from a totally different
        perspective.

        Not sure that the Brain application is any different.

        Thanks,

        Dean

        --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "andrea spray"
        <simone.debeauvoir@...> wrote:

        > Can you provide an example of a 'multidimensional relationship' that
        Mind
        > Manager isn't suited to support? I've also been exploring mind
        mapping
        > with Mind Manager recently and feeling a little restricted by the
        available
        > functionality.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Andrea

      • Lacroix, Éric
        Message 3 of 18 , May 22, 2007

          Hi Kip,

          Here are some answers inside the post:

          Message 4 of 18 , May 22, 2007

            We are already using this product (And old version) for some software architecture part (Most related to the development part). Some or our Use Case writer and Business Analyst are also looking at this product and at Borland Caliber software. But both Sparx and Caliber does not seam to work quite well for building High fidelity UI design.

            I will try to look againg at sparx.

            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 26, 2008
              Any new insights into using Enterprise Architect for UI design patterns,
              CSS, and capturing constraints (using a set-based approach)? Currently
              using Borland StarTeam as a repository for lots of hard to maintain word
              docs.

              -Dean

              --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Kirsten Powers"