On finding bugs by observing acceptance tests running

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 9, 2004
      Since a few people noted that they like the story in this message:
      better check my facts.

      The company in question was Symantec. The project in question was a very
      strong XP project. I twisted facts just a little on the nature of the
      issue caught by observing the tests. So, please be aware that if you tell
      me a story, I'll likely twist the facts to suit my own needs. ;-) Zhon,
      the actual person I talked to, straitens things out below.

      cheers,

      Subject: Re: Can you confirm if I've made up a story
      From: "Zhon Johansen" <zhon@...>
      Date: Mon, August 9, 2004 9:02 am
      To: jpatton@...

      I liked your telling of the story. Only a couple of differences between
      the two tellings: 1) Lorin, an AT test writer, noticed the bug; and 2)
      the bug was a core issue. (We almost had the bug fixed before the ATs
      finished.)

      If Lorin or any of our AT test writers had been concerned with
      usability, I am sure they would have noticed usability bugs. As this was
      not an isolated incident, it could easily have happened with
      usability guy.

      It was a beautifully told story with perfect intent.

      cheers,

      Zhon

      Jeff Patton wrote:

      >In it I told about visiting you at Symantec and you explaining why
      acceptance tests were running on a few systems in the development area.
      Have I told this story correctly? And, since people like the story so
      much, are you interested in posting more details or corrections?

      <clip>

      --
      Jeff Patton
      (801) 910-7908

      “If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.”
      -- George Harrison