Re: Spam:******, Re: [agile-usability] New poll for agile-usability

  • Pascal Roy
    Message 1 of 22 , May 10 5:59 AM
      That's just it. They don't want to pay you to spend the time do it right just so you can eventually show them the right way... ;-)
      I guess I'll have to do it for free...

      Pascal Roy, ing./P.Eng., PMP
      Vice-Président/Vice President
      Elapse Technologies inc.

      [url]        www.elapsetech.com
      [email]]  pascal.roy@...
      [cell]       514-862-6836

      Le 07-05-10 à 08:30, Adrian Howard a écrit :

      On 10 May 2007, at 12:58, Pascal Roy wrote:
      > Another experience I've had (two practical cases to be exact),
      > which is a little bit infuriating is customers insisting on UI
      > designs with known usability issues (not talking about fuzzy things
      > here, talking about really practical stuff that I can pinpoint in
      > the textbooks). They listen, seem to understand the consequences,
      > but in the end insist and justify it saying that since they are
      > paying for it...
      [snip]

      Don't worry - I've seen this a lot. Even when I've been employed
      primarily for my user experience hat :-)

      The absolute best way I've found to convince folk is by
      demonstration. Show them a real user having problems with the "bad"
      system. Show them having no problems with the "right" system.

      Message 2 of 22 , May 10 7:02 PM

        Oh, sorry. I didn't have time to follow this thread from the beginning.
        I was just reacting to Robert's post.

        > I'm not saying that this is a complete replacement for more
        > formal tests (coz it isn't :-) and I've certainly seen a sort
        > of Stockholm Syndrome type relationship set in with the
        > customer adapting to a UI that becomes worse as it evolves
        > during a project.
        >
        > However, even with these issues, observing somebody who isn't
        > a developer using the system on a daily basis can help an
        > enormous amount in both spotting, and raising the priority
        > of, usability issues within the team.

        Yes, I agree. I even weed out lots of usability issues by using the
        system myself even though I'm the one who built it. I guess I can do
        that because I'm a very impatient user. So even when I use software I
        built, I will get annoyed rapidly at anything that is not really easy to
        use.
        Message 3 of 22 , May 12 3:31 PM
          On 11 May 2007, at 03:02, Desilets, Alain wrote:

          >> [mailto:agile-usability@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Adrian Howard
          [snip]
          >> I read the original post as referring to having an onsite
          >> customer using the system.
          >
          > Oh, sorry. I didn't have time to follow this thread from the
          > beginning.
          > I was just reacting to Robert's post.
          [snip]

          Don't apologies - I could be wrong! I think you could read it either
          way :-)