Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [agile-usability] New poll for agile-usability

Expand Messages
  • Adrian Howard
    ... I read the original post as referring to having an onsite customer using the system. I m not saying that this is a complete replacement for more formal
    Message 1 of 22 , May 10, 2007
    • 0 Attachment
      On 10 May 2007, at 12:40, Desilets, Alain wrote:

      > I agree wholeheartedly.
      >
      > It's not your user's job to find usability problems, no more than
      > it is their job to find bugs in your system.

      I read the original post as referring to having an onsite customer
      using the system.

      I'm not saying that this is a complete replacement for more formal
      tests (coz it isn't :-) and I've certainly seen a sort of Stockholm
      Syndrome type relationship set in with the customer adapting to a UI
      that becomes worse as it evolves during a project.

      However, even with these issues, observing somebody who isn't a
      developer using the system on a daily basis can help an enormous
      amount in both spotting, and raising the priority of, usability
      issues within the team.

      Cheers,

      Adrian
    • Adrian Howard
      ... [snip] Don t worry - I ve seen this a lot. Even when I ve been employed primarily for my user experience hat :-) The absolute best way I ve found to
      Message 2 of 22 , May 10, 2007
      • 0 Attachment
        On 10 May 2007, at 12:58, Pascal Roy wrote:
        > Another experience I've had (two practical cases to be exact),
        > which is a little bit infuriating is customers insisting on UI
        > designs with known usability issues (not talking about fuzzy things
        > here, talking about really practical stuff that I can pinpoint in
        > the textbooks). They listen, seem to understand the consequences,
        > but in the end insist and justify it saying that since they are
        > paying for it...
        [snip]

        Don't worry - I've seen this a lot. Even when I've been employed
        primarily for my user experience hat :-)

        The absolute best way I've found to convince folk is by
        demonstration. Show them a real user having problems with the "bad"
        system. Show them having no problems with the "right" system.

        Adrian
      • Pascal Roy
        That s just it. They don t want to pay you to spend the time do it right just so you can eventually show them the right way... ;-) I guess I ll have to do it
        Message 3 of 22 , May 10, 2007
        • 0 Attachment
          That's just it. They don't want to pay you to spend the time do it right just so you can eventually show them the right way... ;-) 
          I guess I'll have to do it for free...

          Pascal Roy, ing./P.Eng., PMP
          Vice-Président/Vice President
          Elapse Technologies inc.

          [url]        www.elapsetech.com
          [email]]  pascal.roy@...
          [cell]       514-862-6836


          Le 07-05-10 à 08:30, Adrian Howard a écrit :

          X-SpamDetect-Info: ------------- Start ASpam results ---------------
          X-SpamDetect-Info: This message may be spam. This message BODY has been altered so 
          X-SpamDetect-Info: your mail client can be set to filter it, see http://netwinsite.com/surgemail/aspaminfo.htm
          X-SpamDetect: ******: 6.300000 Suspicious tags-to-text ratio=0.5,Some html comments=2.0,Gifs in urls=0.8,Aspam=3.0
          X-SpamDetect-Info: ------------- End ASpam results -----------------
          
          


          On 10 May 2007, at 12:58, Pascal Roy wrote:
          > Another experience I've had (two practical cases to be exact),
          > which is a little bit infuriating is customers insisting on UI
          > designs with known usability issues (not talking about fuzzy things
          > here, talking about really practical stuff that I can pinpoint in
          > the textbooks). They listen, seem to understand the consequences,
          > but in the end insist and justify it saying that since they are
          > paying for it...
          [snip]

          Don't worry - I've seen this a lot. Even when I've been employed
          primarily for my user experience hat :-)

          The absolute best way I've found to convince folk is by
          demonstration. Show them a real user having problems with the "bad"
          system. Show them having no problems with the "right" system.

          Adrian


        • Desilets, Alain
          ... Oh, sorry. I didn t have time to follow this thread from the beginning. I was just reacting to Robert s post. ... Yes, I agree. I even weed out lots of
          Message 4 of 22 , May 10, 2007
          • 0 Attachment
            > -----Original Message-----
            > From: agile-usability@yahoogroups.com
            > [mailto:agile-usability@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Adrian Howard
            > Sent: May 10, 2007 8:00 AM
            > To: agile-usability@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: Re: [agile-usability] New poll for agile-usability
            >
            >
            > On 10 May 2007, at 12:40, Desilets, Alain wrote:
            >
            > > I agree wholeheartedly.
            > >
            > > It's not your user's job to find usability problems, no
            > more than it
            > > is their job to find bugs in your system.
            >
            > I read the original post as referring to having an onsite
            > customer using the system.

            Oh, sorry. I didn't have time to follow this thread from the beginning.
            I was just reacting to Robert's post.

            > I'm not saying that this is a complete replacement for more
            > formal tests (coz it isn't :-) and I've certainly seen a sort
            > of Stockholm Syndrome type relationship set in with the
            > customer adapting to a UI that becomes worse as it evolves
            > during a project.
            >
            > However, even with these issues, observing somebody who isn't
            > a developer using the system on a daily basis can help an
            > enormous amount in both spotting, and raising the priority
            > of, usability issues within the team.

            Yes, I agree. I even weed out lots of usability issues by using the
            system myself even though I'm the one who built it. I guess I can do
            that because I'm a very impatient user. So even when I use software I
            built, I will get annoyed rapidly at anything that is not really easy to
            use.
          • Adrian Howard
            ... [snip] ... [snip] Don t apologies - I could be wrong! I think you could read it either way :-) Adrian
            Message 5 of 22 , May 12, 2007
            • 0 Attachment
              On 11 May 2007, at 03:02, Desilets, Alain wrote:

              >> [mailto:agile-usability@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Adrian Howard
              [snip]
              >> I read the original post as referring to having an onsite
              >> customer using the system.
              >
              > Oh, sorry. I didn't have time to follow this thread from the
              > beginning.
              > I was just reacting to Robert's post.
              [snip]

              Don't apologies - I could be wrong! I think you could read it either
              way :-)

              Adrian
            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.