Re: [agile-usability] Introducing UX in an agile environment

  • Mark Schraad
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2007
      Dmitry,

      The article library at the agile alliance is a good place to start.

      I think that if you come at this from a design perspective, you might be disappointed. Most of the material covers processes where design research is non existent, and design as a discipline is minimized (at least by my standards). Instead, the actual design is threaded throughout the process. Most all of the proponents of the agile process are developers - and the decision making resides with developers in this process. I have, however. had some success with threading agile like attributes into a traditional process. A hybrid of RUP and agile if you will. The iterative sprints, scrum style meetings and overall collaborative team model to name a few.

      There are lots of smart folks on this board that can help. And, they will likely have a different take. Listen to them and decide for yourself what will work in transforming your process in your culture.

      Mark

      On May 1, 2007, at 7:58 PM, dmitry wrote:

      Hi all,

      I've recently started in a new role as the first user experience
      designer in a small company practicing an agile development process.
      I'm now working on an internal presentation to introduce UX principles
      within an agile context.

      So far, I've found a number of resources that aim to explain agile
      approaches to usability/design practitioners, but very little along
      the lines of explaining UX principles and practices to agile
      developers. Does anyone have any pointers they'd be willing to share?

      Thanks,

      Dmitry

    • Elizabeth Whitworth
      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 2007
        Dmitry,

        Lyn Miller has written some excellent papers on UX/UCD and Agile. e.g. Case Study of Customer Input For a Successful Product (PDF)

         - elizabeth

        On 5/2/07, Mark Schraad <mschraad@...> wrote:

[...]

      • Desiree Sy
        Message 3 of 5 , May 3, 2007
          In addition to Lynn's paper (which is targeted more at developers with
          no
          background in UX), I've written an article that describes in detail the
          adaptations
          that our UX team at Alias (now Autodesk) made to usability
          investigations such
          as rapid formative usability testing and contextual investigations (both
          in-lab
          and in-field) to make them work with the 2- to 4-week timeboxes (and
          incremental nature) of Agile.

          It's titled "Adapting Usability Investigations for Agile User-centered
          Design"
          and will be published in the upcoming issue of the Journal of Usability
          Studies,
          which is the online journal for UPA.

          This article's intended audience is UX professionals (usability
          professionals
          and interaction or UI designers) who need to conduct iterative usability
          investigations and validations to guide UI design work in an Agile
          environment.

          -Desirée
          Desirée Sy
          Interaction Designer, User Experience Group
          Autodesk Canada, Inc

          --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth Whitworth"
          <elizabethwhitworth@...> wrote:

          > Dmitry,
          >
          > Lyn Miller has written some excellent papers on UX/UCD and Agile. e.g.
          Case
          > Study of Customer Input For a Successful Product

          (PDF)<http://agileproductdesign.com/useful_papers/miller_customer_input_\
          in_agile_projects.pdf.>

          > - elizabeth

          <http://agileproductdesign.com/useful_papers/miller_customer_input_in_ag\
          ile_projects.pdf>On
          > 5/2/07, Mark Schraad mschraad@... wrote:
          > >
          > > Dmitry,
          > >
          > > The article library at the agile alliance is a good place to start.
          > >
          > > http://www.agilealliance.org/library
          > >
          > > I think that if you come at this from a design perspective, you
          might be
          > > disappointed. Most of the material covers processes where design
          research is
          > > non existent, and design as a discipline is minimized (at least by
          my
          > > standards). Instead, the actual design is threaded throughout the
          process.
          > > Most all of the proponents of the agile process are developers - and
          the
          > > decision making resides with developers in this process. I have,
          however.
          > > had some success with threading agile like attributes into a
          traditional
          > > process. A hybrid of RUP and agile if you will. The iterative
          sprints, scrum
          > > style meetings and overall collaborative team model to name a few.
          > >
          > > There are lots of smart folks on this board that can help. And, they
          will
          > > likely have a different take. Listen to them and decide for yourself
          what
          > > will work in transforming your process in your culture.
          > >
          > > Mark
          > >

          > > On May 1, 2007, at 7:58 PM, dmitry wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > I've recently started in a new role as the first user experience
          > > designer in a small company practicing an agile development process.
          > > I'm now working on an internal presentation to introduce UX
          principles
          > > within an agile context.
          > >
          > > So far, I've found a number of resources that aim to explain agile
          > > approaches to usability/design practitioners, but very little along
          > > the lines of explaining UX principles and practices to agile
          > > developers. Does anyone have any pointers they'd be willing to
          share?

          > > Thanks,
          > >
          > > Dmitry

        • k c
          Message 4 of 5 , May 3, 2007
            Hi Desiree,

            Sounds like exactly what I am looking for...I don't suppose I could get a preview version by chance:)

            Kip

            <elizabethwhitworth @...> wrote:

            > Dmitry,
            >
            > Lyn Miller has written some excellent papers on UX/UCD and Agile. e.g.
            Case
            > Study of Customer Input For a Successful Product

            (PDF)<http://agileproduct design.com/ useful_papers/ miller_customer_ input_\
            in_agile_projects. pdf.

            > - elizabeth

            <http://agileproduct design.com/ useful_papers/ miller_customer_ input_in_ ag\
            ile_projects. pdf
            >On
            > 5/2/07, Mark Schraad mschraad@... wrote:
            > >
            > > Dmitry,
            > >
            > > The article library at the agile alliance is a good place to start.
            > >
            > > http://www.agileall iance.org/ library
            > >
            > > I think that if you come at this from a design perspective, you
            might be
            > > disappointed. Most of the material covers processes where design
            research is
            > > non existent, and design as a discipline is minimized (at least by
            my
            > > standards). Instead, the actual design is threaded throughout the
            process.
            > > Most all of the proponents of the agile process are developers - and
            the
            > > decision making resides with developers in this process. I have,
            however.
            > > had some success with threading agile like attributes into a
            traditional

            process. A hybrid of RUP and agile if you will. The iterative
            sprints, scrum
            > > style meetings and overall collaborative team model to name a few.
            > >
            > > There are lots of smart folks on this board that can help. And, they
            will
            > > likely have a different take. Listen to them and decide for yourself
            what
            > > will work in transforming your process in your culture.
            > >
            > > Mark
            > >

            > > On May 1, 2007, at 7:58 PM, dmitry wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi all,
            > >
            > > I've recently started in a new role as the first user experience
            > > designer in a small company practicing an agile development process.
            > > I'm now working on an internal presentation to introduce UX
            principles
            > > within an agile context.
            > >
            > > So far, I've found a number of resources that aim to explain agile

            approaches to usability/design practitioners, but very little along
            > > the lines of explaining UX principles and practices to agile
            > > developers. Does anyone have any pointers they'd be willing to
            share?

            > > Thanks,
            > >
            > > Dmitry

            Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.