RE: [agile-usability] How do you unit test web interfaces?

    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 25, 2007
      > Desilets, Alain wrote:
      > > But I think testing the behaviour of a single web page
      > (including the
      > > behaviour of it's embedded JavaScript code) fits the definition of
      > > unit testing.
      >
      > It fits *some* definitions of unit testing, but not the one I
      > generally use. I generally use the TDD concept of unit
      > testing, rather than the ones generally accepted by the
      > testing community. I don't call anything "unit testing" if
      > it requires deployment to run.

      I don't really want to argue about the definition of unit vs acceptance testing.

      I agree with you that testing which requires deployment sucks, especially if it's manual deployment. I'm looking for tools and techniques that will allow me to do automated testing (whether it be unit or acceptance) of the GUI without requiring too much in the way of deployment. It seems to me that testing the embedded javascript should be possible without full deployment. For example, invoke the script that generates the HTML containing that javascript, then load that HTML into some kind of browser emulator that has a JavaScript interpretor, etc... Dunno if that exists or not.

      ----
      Alain Désilets, MASc
      Agent de recherches/Research Officer

      alain.desilets@...
      Tél/Tel (613) 990-2813
      Facsimile/télécopieur: (613) 952-7151

      Ottawa (Ontario) K1A 0R6
      K1A 0R6

    • George Dinwiddie
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 25, 2007
        Desilets, Alain wrote:
        > I agree with you that testing which requires deployment sucks,
        > especially if it's manual deployment. I'm looking for tools and
        > techniques that will allow me to do automated testing (whether it be
        > unit or acceptance) of the GUI without requiring too much in the way
        > of deployment. It seems to me that testing the embedded javascript
        > should be possible without full deployment. For example, invoke the
        > script that generates the HTML containing that javascript, then load
        > that HTML into some kind of browser emulator that has a JavaScript
        > interpretor, etc... Dunno if that exists or not.

        If you want to test just the javascript, put it in a .js file and test
        it with jsUnit.