New Master's in HCI

  • Larry Constantine
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 29, 2007
      WIDEST DISTRIBUTION - PLEASE FORWARD - APOLOGIES FOR MULTIPLE POSTINGS

      Carnegie Mellon University and the University of Madeira are proud to
      announce a joint professional Master's in Human-Computer Interaction.

      This unique 16-month interdisciplinary program is the first of its kind in
      Europe. Beginning in September 2007, this joint-degree program offers
      students an opportunity to study on both campuses in computer science,
      design, psychology and social sciences and to work in teams on an extended
      applied HCI project in industry.

      More information can be found at http://mhci.dme.uma.pt/

      ----

      We are proud of this new initiative under the Carnegie Mellon/Portugal ICTI:
      Information and Communications Institute.

      I would appreciate your help in bringing this to the attention of potential
      students. Organizations interested in hosting a student team for an HCI
      project should contact Prof. Nuno Nunes (njn@...) or Larry Constantine
      (lconstantine@...).

      --Larry Constantine, IDSA, ACM Distinguished Engineer
      Professor, Department of Mathematics & Engineering
      Director, Laboratory for Usage-centered Software Engineering (Lab-USE)
      University of Madeira, Funchal, Portugal
    • June Kim
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 30, 2007
        2007/3/30, Jeff Patton <jpatton@...>:
        [snip]

        > If you work in a company that falls into this frequent release category, and
        [snip]

        I'm not sure if my client companies belong to this category.

        Decide yourself if my cases fit, and please contact me if you want
        more information.

        My usual project are used by more than at least tens of thousands of
        users. It reaches sometimes up to millions. In these cases, what I
        usually do is gradually increasing the number of users who will get to
        use the frequent releases.

        On one project, we did release after 3 to 4 months from the beginning,
        to a dozen of (pre-alpha?) users. They started to use the service from
        then, and we started to observe and gather feedbacks, while developing
        simultaneously. After one month the user base increased to a few
        hundreds, and after a couple of months again, it increased to more
        than a thousand. Most of the acculumated users are still using the
        system. It's more like a constant upgrade, and once in a couple of
        weeks a major upgrade. Users get real values from using the service
        since the first release(the amount of the value varies though). We
        learned quite a lot thanks to this feedback from real uses, early and
        often.

        Current project is more extreme. From the day 1(if we ignore the
        period for initial user research and planning) of development, we have
        released, and we are releasing almost daily, adapting the plan. We are
        actually adding values day by day. However, the user base is very
        small. Around a dozen. We intend to enlarge the size as we go on.

        June