Re: [agile-usability] Re: Design as problem solving. was: are you making efficient designs?

    Message 1 of 341 , Feb 23, 2007
      On 22 Feb 2007, at 16:49, Robert Hoekman, Jr. wrote:

      > You might also want to poke at the principles that went along with
      > the manifesto < http://agilemanifesto.org/principles.html>. They often
      > get missed.
      > I don't ramble on about having UX skills spread across the team
      > rather than being focussed in a small group spreading info in a top-
      > down manner because it gives me the warm fuzzies. I don't do it
      > because folk tell me that it's The Agile Way.
      >
      > Adrian, I respect your opinion and I believe you've done great
      > things through Agile principles.

      Ohhh... you don't want to go respecting my opinion. I'm often
      extremely stupid :-)

      > I also believe you truly care about improving your products and
      > processes. But I've read the principles several times, and my
      > employers have done ALL of this, and somehow everything I have said
      > seems to fall short of the definition of Agile that is being
      > perpetuated through this list.

      Maybe that's because different folk have different interpretations of
      those principles, and how they can be applied to make great products.
      I, personally, think it would be useful to maybe explore some of
      those differences a bit.

      > Does this bother me? Not in the slightest. What bothers me is that
      > I can't seem to break through the Great Wall of Agile on this list
      > to talk about other ideas. Hence, again, this is not the right list
      > for me.

      I'm really sorry you feel that way :-(

      From my, probably quite bigoted, perspective folk are trying to
      suggest ways we might be able to get even better results by changing
      the way the whole process works - rather than just focussing on the
      UX bit.

      > To be frank, I simply don't care if the processes my employer's
      > have adopted are truly Agile or not. It doesn't make them any less
      > agile (lowercase A) or any less successful. I came here to further
      > explore agile usability methods, and it simply doesn't matter to me
      > if they're Agile usability methods or not. If I cared only about
      > Agile methods, I believe I would miss opportunities left and right
      > to improve my products simply because I was thinking only about Agile.
      >
      > I care about the user experience. I care about improving companies
      > on every level, always aiming at a superior customer experience,
      > always refining and finding ways to produce better products,
      > designs, code, you name it. I care about respecting the skills of
      > the people I work with and leveraging their expertise. And yes, I
      > care about agility.

      Ditto :-)

      > I do not, however, believe that Agile is the only way to achieve
      > these things. I do not believe that Agile has even *half* of the
      > answers we really need. I believe our primary interest should be to
      > continually improve our methods and performance, not to latch onto
      > a single better method and live and die by it.

      I don't think anybody is trying to say Agile is "the answer".
      However, so far, it's the best answer I've discovered. That doesn't
      mean I'm not looking for ways to make that even better - I just get
      nervous when I see techniques that interfere with other parts of the
      process that I see working well.

      > Without any hard feelings intended, the best thing I could do here
      > is to simply stop engaging in this conversation. I'm sorry if this
      > bothers you, but this list is simply not what I hoped it would be,
      > and I believe I need to explore my interests elsewhere.
      >
      > Thanks for all the fish. :)

      And thank you. Personally I still hope you stick around since I think
      everybody has stuff to learn. But don't feel obligated :-)

      I'll shut up now.

    • Alexander Johannesen
      Message 341 of 341 , Feb 23, 2007
        On 2/23/07, Robert Hoekman, Jr. <rhoekmanjr@...> wrote:
        > Without any hard feelings intended, the best thing I could do here is to simply
        > stop engaging in this conversation. I'm sorry if this bothers you, but this list is
        > simply not what I hoped it would be, and I believe I need to explore my
        > interests elsewhere.

        I just got back from another planet, it seems, so pardon me for asking
        dumb questions, but what *did* you expect? I myself do a lot of agile
        UX (note, small 'a'; there is no Agile) and I'm on this list, so I'm
        curious about your "Great Wall of Agile on this list"; what is it?

        Sure, a lot of people have *their* meaning of Agile and their way of
        doing things, and as you say, that's ok. Do you feel some people
        advocate only one way of Agile, perhaps a tad too much? That their
        passion is getting in the way of pragmatism?

        Regards,

        Alex
        Project Wrangler, SOA, Information Alchymist, UX, RESTafarian, Topic Maps